This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by derekcb View Post

A small propane torch will do the trick if you need to bend the stay back into submission. Can you repair the headlight housing with a little fiberglass/epoxy/microbead work?
    I think I should be able to, but I'll need to pull it off today to be sure.
    Matt J., Appleton
    2015 Yamaha R3
    Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

• Pulled it off and took a look, I think I should be able to epoxy it or something, the broken bits are still attached to the stay. I got a pic but it appears to be too large to upload. Will have to see if I still have a photo site.
      Matt J., Appleton
      2015 Yamaha R3
      Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

• Microsoft Paint has a resize function. Its in windows.
        open search, type "mspaint"
        WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Thank You to my personal, CCS Racing sponsors: WiRiders.com, Cycle Gear, TrackGraphix.com

Comment

• Sprockets on, countershaft sprocket safety wired with a new captive nut, chain on and lubed, oil and filter changed, coolant topped off, brakes flushed, most of my safety wiring is complete, cleaned up the race glass and installed it. Did a squid run down the street and everything felt solid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spoot View Post
            Microsoft Paint has a resize function. Its in windows.
            open search, type "mspaint"
            Yeah, I kept forgetting to get the pic off my phone and onto something with Paint. The red lines show where the breakage is. All those points should have a little rod sort of sticking out that fits into a rubber bit on the fairing stay. I have all four rods, but it turns out the large break on the bottom left is still missing a piece or two so I'll have to cover that somehow to make sure water doesn't get in. Once I figured that out I knew this happened (or was worsened) from the trailer drop last year. We found a couple bits of black plastic on the trailer and I never found where they came from until now. Unfortunately it looks like I tossed those out a month or two ago since I couldn't figure out what they were from.
            I got some JB Weld plastic bonder, going to try that. If that's no good... well, I might have to spend a chunk to replace it, or just streetfighter it and buy a track front fairing to pop on/off for trackdays.

20190508_123007.jpg
            Last edited by Matt-J2; 05-14-2019, 10:29 AM.
            Matt J., Appleton
            2015 Yamaha R3
            Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

• I pulled the wife's Magna out of the trailer, put the battery in, hit the button....nuttin.
              dang. dash lights barely lit up. grrrr.

so, its sitting on the charger.
              WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Thank You to my personal, CCS Racing sponsors: WiRiders.com, Cycle Gear, TrackGraphix.com

Comment

• Sooo....

I mentioned I took the bike apart, figured while bored I'll make a list of what's going on:

Swap coolant to Engine Ice
                Check Plugs (replace?)
                Check Air Filter (replace?)
                Sync throttle bodies
                clean brakes

Repair 'nose' piece
                Replace busted foot peg
                Remove all stickers
                clean/sand damaged fairings
                Paint all silver parts white w/ blue accents

Replace seat
                Replace windscreen
                Have ecu flashed
                Remove smog stuff/attach block off plate
                Replace exhaust to go with flash (got a decent enough deal)
                Replace Yamaha pumpkins with LED signals (maybe), modify wiring for rear signals so they can be quick detach.

Fab up a removable flat plate to mount tailbag and/or saddlebags where the pillion seat is that can be easily removed for when I don't need them or when heading to the track. Likely going to buy a used pillion seat and take the padding off as the base.

If I get some other stuff sold here soon and get back into my workouts/training, I'll reward myself with:
                New front and rear suspension. ( I probably should have gone here first, but I really wanted the ECU flash...and to be less fat. It's always hardest for me to get back on the wagon, maybe this will make a good carrot)
                New levers
                Possibly new front brake master.

All that, and it'll still be an R3.
                Matt J., Appleton
                2015 Yamaha R3
                Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

• I gotta bleed the brakes on the Ducati, they are mush. And it's an ABS system and I don't know how to cycle the solenoid on this bike. Maybe I'll just let the old fluid sit in that circuit rather than deal with it. Bike needs new tires too. The OEM 2012 meats are still on there and I'm afraid to go around corners.

Matt I got a fresh RBF600 to share if you need it when I do the brakes on this thing.
                  John K - Appleton

Comment

• Originally posted by Zaph View Post
                    I gotta bleed the brakes on the Ducati, they are mush. And it's an ABS system and I don't know how to cycle the solenoid on this bike. Maybe I'll just let the old fluid sit in that circuit rather than deal with it. Bike needs new tires too. The OEM 2012 meats are still on there and I'm afraid to go around corners.

Matt I got a fresh RBF600 to share if you need it when I do the brakes on this thing.
                    Sweet, certainly wouldn't hurt to do that as well.
                    Matt J., Appleton
                    2015 Yamaha R3
                    Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

• I got my ECU back yesterday along with the smog block off plate. New foot peg comes today, windscreen tomorrow.

I've been trying to get the sticker residue off the fairings and...it's not going well. Sometimes I can scrub it, but I've used dish scrubbers, Goo Gone, Goof Off, WD-40, mixed that with toothpaste, used a hair dryer with the above. I dunno what this adhesive is, but it could keep oil and water, or even Republicans and Democrats, together.

Might just go ahead and sand it off the silver parts to get them painted. The nose piece doesn't have as much residue so I might be able to scrub that, maybe a little scraping but I don't want to damage that part.
                      Matt J., Appleton
                      2015 Yamaha R3
                      Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

• Sometimes u need to leave goo-gone soak on the residue... get it wet, Over and over and over again...

Another thing to try is acetone. But that can chew into paint quickly, so easy does it. Then, if it clears up, don't do anything for a couple days to that spot...paint might be soft!
                        WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Comment

• Originally posted by Spoot View Post
                          Sometimes u need to leave goo-gone soak on the residue... get it wet, Over and over and over again...

Another thing to try is acetone. But that can chew into paint quickly, so easy does it. Then, if it clears up, don't do anything for a couple days to that spot...paint might be soft!
                          I let it sit on there for a bit and used an old credit card for a scraper, and that worked pretty well on the blue parts, but those have a gloss clear coat. The matte silver parts didn't work so hot, but I tried the Goof Off again, and that honestly worked out great. Might have taken a little paint with it, but not much. Dunno what the difference in formula is, but it worked so I'm not going to worry much. I'll just be careful with it in future.
                          Matt J., Appleton
                          2015 Yamaha R3
                          Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

Working...
                          X