Spoot's VTR250 racer build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Skipper View Post
    Maybe one from a cbr600 would work. Or buy a generic one and replace the whole oem one (unless its part of tbe tank)
    After using my tool a couple times, I think I like just keeping it separate. If I attach it, I would also need to remove it anytime I remove a side plastic or the tank....

Another dyno run today....went bad.
    It doesn't like the 122's with blocked off air-box mod (stock).
    It doesn't like the 122's with air-box mod and a gas tank mounted.
    It doesn't like the 122's with air-box mod and NO gas tank.
    It does not like green eggs and ham!
    All 3 runs today only produced 26-27hp.

SO....back to the 120 mains. Might try to mount the front of the tank a little higher to allow air in and hopefully get my 32hp back.

I ordered a donor shock and gave that to TSE to get measurements off of it.

Replacement thermostat housing on the way.
    Ordered some frame/body-panel grommets.
    Last edited by Spoot; 04-13-2018, 06:06 PM.
    WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Comment

• Sometimes I'm a dolt...

I found a thermostat housing in my parts box, so now I have 2 to pick from (duh).
      I also found a frame grommet in my spares, so the SIX I just ordered is a little over kill (duh).

I picked up my Race Tech springs & gold emulators today.
      Took the forks out and dissembled. WOW. The oil was thick and dark gray with a silver shimmer to it.
      So, we guessed that all of the previous owners never changed the fluid...lol.
      Everything got cleaned up and all of the other internal parts looked great. We drilled out the additional holes in the damping rod and re-assembled everything.
      We didn't have a bearing driver for this small of a fork, but we found that a 1 1/2" PVC pipe will work, so I will head back to CapView's place tomorrow to finish these off. The emulators "said" they come with the 64lb springs installed (yellow)...but they actually had the 40lb (blue) installed.
      The directions said that for forks 33-36mm, they recommend the 40lb springs (the '90 has 35mm)...so, it was ready to go.
      I am planning to do 10wt oil.

New tires got mounted and balanced today as well.
      The old rear was from 1998 - a Bridgestone Battleax BT35R ?
      The old front was an IRC something, dated 2007 and actually seemed slightly usable, lol.
      (both will be tossed, btw)

I haven't heard anything from Penske\TSE about my shock.
      I haven't heard anything about the Airtech bellypan.

All Ballz rear brearing kit ordered from Ebay - should be here by Thursday.
      Will order OEM front bearing stuff on Monday (unless cycle gear can order oem stuff)
      WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Comment

• I am in complete awe of you guys that can wrench this deep into your bikes!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bogie View Post
          I am in complete awe of you guys that can wrench this deep into your bikes!!

I am one of the last people you should be in awe of....I am not that good at this.
          The mother of necessity has more to do with this than my 'like' of doing this. LOL.
          I can't afford to pay anyone to 'make' me a bike, so out of desperation and shallow pockets and good friends that are willing to contribute to my Honda madness, keeps me moving forward. But, I do appreciate the compliment.
          WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Comment

• The new fork seals got pushed into place. We were able to use a 1 1/2" PVC pipe with a cap on one end. It slid over the fork tube just right.
            Then we trimmed about 1mm of of the diameter of the PVC so it fit inside the lower leg, but covered the seal. Whapped it with a sand-filled hammer until it was seated.
            Slid the dust cover into place and then filled with the recommended amount of oil. 140mm of air gap. Using 10wt oil.

WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Comment

• Spoot - someone on the STT Forum is selling a set of Pirelli Rains 110/70 and 140/60 used for two sessions for $100.

http://www.sttforum.com/index.php?th...t-bikes.19540/

Comment

• I guess they would be a good skywater deterrent?
                2004 BMW R1100SA(street/Deer Spear)
                1999 BMW R1100S(track/race CCS AM#259)
                1999 BMW R1100S(parts)

Comment

• Originally posted by derekcb View Post
                  Spoot - someone on the STT Forum is selling a set of Pirelli Rains 110/70 and 140/60 used for two sessions for $100.
                  I'm a little over budget already. lol
                  WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Comment

• Originally posted by Spoot View Post

I'm a little over budget already. lol
                    You're building a race bike. There's no such thing as a budget...

Comment

• Saturday:
                      Pulled out the 28-yr old wheel bearings fr/rr. Installed All Balls kit in the rear, new OEM in the front (pulling them was a challenge).
                      Cleaned up the rims a little, they look a little nicer now.
                      Got the enclosed trailer out of storage.

Sunday:
                      I got the forks put back in (Capview forgot to tighten the screw at the bottom of the forks, it had a quite a few drips of oil after a couple days)

Greased up the speedo thing with fresh lithium grease.
                      Cleaned up the front/rear axles & spacers...lubed with fresh grease.
                      Front wheel mounted. Speedo cable mount was broke, so I may need another cable.

Inside of front fender cut to make room for warmers - looks like it should be OK now. Fender mounted.
                      Rear wheel mounted.
                      Relocated horn so I have room for front triple stand.
                      Naughty coolant drained - flushed twice with distilled water (including front cylinder drain bolt)- Engine Ice is in and burped.
                      I cut the shovel off of the rear fender & mounted it to give me back a place to mount the ECU(?).
                      Mounted the tail piece and one of the side panels, just to make sure stuff fits. Looks good!!
                      Picked up some pink and baby blue paints.

Needs:
                      Install 120 jets.
                      Radiator mount bolt.
                      Change oil/filter, drill proper bolts for safety wire.
                      Fab a mounting-tab on the tail piece.
                      Fab a filler piece for the tail-light area.
                      Sand/paint plastics, fender, tank.
                      Drill swingarm to mount spools....tired of paddles.

Still waiting on Airtech belly pan & Penske shock.....

Last edited by Spoot; 04-22-2018, 11:11 PM.
                      WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Comment

• Horn and speedo cable dont need to be on a race bike.

I would look for, what ever thread you need for the spools, and get some rod coupling nuts and have them welded to the bottom of the swinger.

These
                        Last edited by Skipper; Yesterday, 08:34 PM.
                        Wait a minute. Look at those shifty eyes. That devious half-smile. Those kazoo-kissed lips.

CCS # 14 EX
                        ASRA # 214 EX
                        RP Motorsports, Suomy Helmets

Comment

[SIZE=16px]

Sunday:
                          I got the forks put back in (Capview forgot to tighten the screw at the bottom of the forks)
                          It's not my fault Honda put a stupid drain bolt on the bottom of the fork tube, unlike every other manufacturer.

Like me on Facebook at Yellow Duck Racing
                          LB Photography, Apex Custom Coating, Track Graphix, Spears Racing

Comment

• Originally posted by Capitalview View Post
                            It's not my fault Honda put a stupid drain bolt on the bottom of the fork tube, unlike every other manufacturer.
                            It's ok, I forgive you. We may need to check the fluid level again just to be sure.

I took the mother f-ing carbs out and put the 120 jets back in. UHG!!! I hate carbs!
                            All back together and it started up and rev'ed up nice.

I glued on some rubber bumpers where the tank hit the frame (piece of mind).
                            I added about 1/2" of lift to the front of the tank, so hopefully I get the airflow I need to get my 31-32hp back.

Originally posted by Skipper View Post
                            Horn and speedo cable don't need to be on a race bike.

I would look for, what ever thread you need for the spools, and get some rod coupling nuts and have them welded to the bottom of the swinger.
                            But, I like having a horn and a speedo
                            I like the rod coupling idea ! Gotta find a welder

WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Comment

But, I like having a horn and a speedo
                              I like the rod coupling idea ! Gotta find a welder
                              i got a 120v gasless mig, if you know how to weld.
                              Wait a minute. Look at those shifty eyes. That devious half-smile. Those kazoo-kissed lips.

CCS # 14 EX
                              ASRA # 214 EX
                              RP Motorsports, Suomy Helmets

Comment

• I can stick weld, to an adequate level. I can oxy\acetylene at a slightly lower level.
                                But, it's been 35 years ??

I picked up the number plates from Stanmann's RD.

I had a couple interesting phone calls today with Airtech & TSE.
                                Airtech could have finished up the belly-pan and shipped it overnight, so I could'a had it by Friday.
                                TSE said I could'a paid an expedite fee and had a shock by Friday.

But...I took a pass on each as it would be slightly insane to get all of this (and the other stuff) done and safe by Saturday.

So, I am officially out until the May round at BFR.
                                But, I may try to look for a TD in here somewhere.

Last edited by Spoot; Today, 08:10 PM.
                                WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Comment

Working...
                                X