Motorcycle Performance - opinions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Performance - opinions?

Not sure if this is the best place for this, but I didn't see anywhere else obvious...

Anyone done business with these guys? Reviews seem to be that they do good work, but they're condescending to anyone that's not an old gear head.

I'd like to get my bike on a dyno and get it tuned as I believe it could really use it...obvious dip in power around the 5k mark, and just odd surging elsewhere.

Is it worth dealing with them? Better place to get a tune in the area?

Random other question, do I need a piggyback/aftermarket ECU or can the stock Ducati ECU be re-mapped?

A quick google search says the 848 of that year can be reflashed with a different map. Mail-in services are usually less expensive than a shop doing it. But, I don't know how many people offer a mail-in service on Ducati's. It's very popular to mail-in reflash on Yamaha bikes. Perhaps someone one here with a Ducati knows, otherwise I'm sure the ducati forums could answer.
    http://www.tuneboy.com.au/ducati_marelli/
    You should see me in a headsock !

Comment

I was getting some conflicting reports as to which years could be flash and which ones couldn't.

Had not heard of the tuneboy stuff....seems like an interesting(and fairly cheap) method...

Thanks!

Comment

Might also be worth a look at FlashTune ECU. It's basically a license, program, and set of connectors to reflash yourself at home. If you just want it done once and aren't chasing "perfect" then might not be better than sending the ecu off somewhere. If you know you'll be swapping parts/fuel/etc more often than it could be handy as you can change things to suit.

I can't speak much more than that though since I've never used it, just read a few reviews from other R3 owners.
        Matt J., Appleton
        2015 Yamaha R3
        Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-J2 View Post
          Might also be worth a look at FlashTune ECU. It's basically a license, program, and set of connectors to reflash yourself at home. If you just want it done once and aren't chasing "perfect" then might not be better than sending the ecu off somewhere. If you know you'll be swapping parts/fuel/etc more often than it could be handy as you can change things to suit.

I can't speak much more than that though since I've never used it, just read a few reviews from other R3 owners.
          They don't make flashtune for ducati unfortunately. But yea, that's pretty much what everyone uses for Yamaha/Kawi
          https://ftecu.com/
          You should see me in a headsock !

Comment

I saw a YouTube video that included a Flash Tune, which is what kind of sent me down this road.

Besides maybe an air filter, I don't really plan on changing much about the bike anytime soon.

MAYBE chopping the stock cans, because they're obnoxiously long...but they're essentially straight through right now, so I doubt knocking an inch off the can length would do much. Would it?

Comment

I didn't know that, learn something every day!
              Although not too surprised. AFAIK Ducati likes to sell their own flashes with exhaust systems.
              Matt J., Appleton
              2015 Yamaha R3
              Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

I've used MP a few times.
                They aren't cheap, but a dynotune of a power-commander is in their wheelhouse of skills.
                I don't think they would offer a re-flash of a stock unit, but I do know they have worked on many Ducs & might know what you're looking for.
                If you call, WJ is the main sales\phone guy, but Bill the owner answers on occasion.
                WJ will help you figure out what you might need.
                Always be clear of what the work will be and what $ you are willing to pay & what service will be performed.

They also have set land-speed records with Duc-powered bikes.

Do they make a Power-Commander for ducs?
                WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Thank You to my personal, CCS Racing sponsors: WiRiders.com, Cycle Gear, TrackGraphix.com

Comment

classic PCIII USB $370 retail
                  http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...dl=324&yr=1547

PC V $399 retail
                  http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...dl=324&yr=1547

maps are listed at bottom of each page and I think are free to download.

....and yes, I know, it is more $ to go this route, but you can do it yourself.

ebay $299 from Fuel Moto (a WI company)
                  https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2010-D...cAAOSwuwRYLgu2

some used PCIII on ebay under $200.
                  Last edited by Spoot; 06-11-2018, 05:53 PM.
                  WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Thank You to my personal, CCS Racing sponsors: WiRiders.com, Cycle Gear, TrackGraphix.com

Comment

you see this site yet?
                    http://www.ducati.ms/forums/138-stre...g-options.html
                    WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by Spoot View Post
                      I was going to post about Ducati.ms . That site is very very good. Very knowledgeable people there.
                      Like me on Facebook at Yellow Duck Racing
                      LB Photography, Apex Custom Coating, Track Graphix, Spears Racing

Comment

I have been on Ducati.ms and I've been reading through stuff, but there's really not much in the Superbike forum, most of that was in the Streetfighter forum and almost all of it is 2011(first year of the EVO model) or older so I'm not sure what advances have been made in the last 7 years or what differences(if any) there are between the Streetfighter and the Superbikes. The install/setup video's I found on the Tuneboy are on a 2010 (I think...) Streetfighter and none of his connections are in the same area mine are.

Also, the Tuneboy website is sketchy at best and there seems to be no US dealer at all. So I would go through the AU dealer? Not sure there, I don't see a number or email address on their site to get more specific information either. I don't see any maps in the 848 EVO specific section for download.

Power Commander/Bazzazz - Issues seem to be that they don't/can't solve the issues in the closed loop RPM's, which is where all my problems are. Some people say Bazzazz can spoof or re-calibrate O2 sensor signals and allow configuring of the closed loop, but I can't seem to confirm that.

I haven't talked to Motorcycle Performance yet to see if they can flash stock Ducati ECU's yet or figure out how much that would cost. This is next 'todo' on my list along with continued research on the rest of the options.

Looked into Ducati Diag...but that seems a bit sketchy as well and most information about it is quite old, not sure if it still works or is supported anymore.

I really appreciate everyone's help and I apologize for the Ducati noob questions. My SV didn't have these surge/valley power issues so I never really looked into fueling upgrades. This is all very new to me and it seems like Ducati is a bit more difficult to deal with when it comes to fueling upgrades. Pretty much spending all my free time right now reading and researching.

Comment

Alot of the problems people have with Bill and WJ is when the customer rolls in acting like they know more than they do. I've never had problems with them.
                          Wait a minute. Look at those shifty eyes. That devious half-smile. Those kazoo-kissed lips.

CCS # 14 EX
                          ASRA # 214 EX
                          RP Motorsports, Suomy Helmets

Comment

Working...
                          X