This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a bike without a title?

Here are the steps of what you need to do to get a title.

First - Motor vehicles in WI need to have titles. That's the law. Unless it is so old, that it never had a title.
    -- Owners are required to maintain titles on their vehicles. If they don't, they push problems down the road to others, and I don't think you can technically "sell" a vehicle without a clear title. Lein needs to be paid, Bonded titles need to be cleared....
    -- If you 'lost' the title, you are required to obtain a duplicate before you can sell the vehicle.

So....that being said, what if you believe you are the 4th or 5th or 6th owner down the rabbit-hole and no one before you had a title?
    ...here is what you can do if you get a Bill of Sale with your new-to-you steed.

The DOT process is called DUPE AND TRANSFER
    ---- If all the forms are ready, you can walk in and get everything done in one visit!

1. Application for replacement title. Filled out by previous owner and signed (Last owner to legally title vehicle). MV2119

2. Bill of sale from previous owner (Last owner to legally title vehicle) - listing VIN, vehicle yr\make\model\miles, owner address - buyers info - signed by prev owner. DOT sample MV2928
    -- If the vehicle is over 10yrs old, no certification of odo is required.
    --- If vehicle is under 10yrs old, the odo will need to be certified as accurate by DOT or a LEO (because you don't have a title to show otherwise)

3. Application to transfer title - filled out by buyer \ new owner - signed. List purchase price for sales tax, fees to do a transfer are listed. MV1

That's it.

Now - what if you don't know who the previous owner was, that last titled the vehicle??
    What if you're the 4th or 5th or 6th 'owner' getting a bill of sale and have no idea who last titled the vehicle??

Well, you will need to do a search via DOT for the purpose of possible legal\civil action. Remember, the owner of a vehicle needs to have proper titles for vehicles during a sale...if not, there is a potential for legal action down the road...so, here we are.

1. Application to search for last titled owner of the listed VIN. This will only search for WI ownership. If the vehicle came from out of state, you are kinda screwed from this aspect.
    -- On this form, it is imperative that you check the box 'Civil\Legal action' as the reason for the search. This doesn't mean that you WILL, this is the only legal way for YOU to make this kind of inquiry into the DOT system! It has a $5 fee for the search??
    2. Alternate option - find a willing LEO to run the VIN - they can see the last titled owner of the vehicle. They are not allowed to release this info.

(I will update DOT form #'s as I get my hands on them....I might grab a couple from DOT next week and have them avail for friends)

Now....one last...tiny....little detail.

What if you cannot actually coordinate with the previous owner? Can't travel there? or just don't want to dick with them???
    I am not condoning or suggesting that you forge documents.
    All I am saying is, unless you make it obvious - DOT doesn't really follow up on any of these things.

----------------------------------------------

Another avenue:

Buy the vehicle without a title & fill out 2 forms - MV2082 & MV1.
    DOT will do a search of other states (but not all), if it shows clear (not stolen\lost), they will ask you to post a bond.
    You need to contact your Insurance Company (or Surety Company) and tell them you want a "DMV Bond" on a vehicle you have purchased.
    They asses the value of the vehicle, sell you a policy based on the value of the vehicle. You need to pay the all of the policies premiums -up front-.
    It is a 5-year policy. I don't know why this is, or what it does...but, maybe they give you the policy value if a later 'stolen' claim appears from DMV and you have to forfeit the vehicle to the rightful owner. But, if the VIN is clean (not stolen)....
    You will get a title that is branded "Bond Posted".
    After a 5yr period...if no one reports the vehicle stolen\lost\junked...etc = you then become the legal owner and can get a clear title.
    The vehicle CAN be sold\transferred with BOND POSTED on the title, but the bond\policy\surety needs to remain for the duration of the 5 ears.
    Here is an FAQ on the Bond crap.
    https://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/d.../bond_faqs.pdf

Here is a description of the bond process and the forms:
    https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/v...rety-bond.aspx
    Last edited by Spoot; 10-06-2018, 01:01 PM.
    WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Thank You to my personal, CCS Racing sponsors: WiRiders.com, Cycle Gear, TrackGraphix.com

FYI - if you are selling a MV in WI - you may want to ensure that you report the sale to DOT.
    https://app.wi.gov/sellernotify

If you don't - and the buyer doesn't file to get a title\plate....YOU may be listed as the last titled owner of the vehicle.

Which has the potential....that YOUR vehicle was filled with cocaine & a bunch of guns with the serial numbers sanded off and it was found abandoned after YOUR vehicle was reported as running over a bunch of children in a cross-walk !

I think you see the point here.
    Last edited by Spoot; 07-14-2018, 12:46 PM.
    WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Thank You to my personal, CCS Racing sponsors: WiRiders.com, Cycle Gear, TrackGraphix.com

Comment

Here is an online title search from DOT.
      It looks like you would need to have enough info to complete, then you wouldn't need to do the $5 form search from above.

https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/onlin...le-search.aspx

EDIT: THIS SEARCH NEEDS THE VIN & D/L# OF THE OWNER TO GET TITLE STATUS.
      Nothing else seems to be here. Sorry.
      Last edited by Spoot; 10-04-2018, 07:15 PM.
      WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Comment

What kind of DUMB ASS buys a bike without a title?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Originally posted by Spoot View Post
        FYI - if you are selling a MV in WI - you may want to ensure that you report the sale to DOT.
        https://app.wi.gov/sellernotify

If you don't - and the buyer doesn't file to get a title\plate....YOU may be listed as the last titled owner of the vehicle.
        This has happened to me TWICE. It seems used BMW owners are dicks. I have been mailed 2 parking tickets for cars I sold 2 years prior. One from Dubuque and one from Milwaukee.
        2004 BMW R1100SA(street/Deer Spear)
        2008 Suzuki SV650 (track\race CCS AM#259)

Comment

Originally posted by Tammy View Post
          It seems used BMW owners are dicks.
          I'm going to leave that one alone...

Matt J., Appleton
          2015 Yamaha R3
          Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

Title in-hand does not mean no lien. I learned that the hard way, but luckily the loan was actually paid off, and I was able to get the previous owner to clear it up.

My race bike has never had a title and probably never will. I have the MSO and a bill of sale from previous owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-J2 View Post

I'm going to leave that one alone...
              nice one
              WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Comment

updated first post to reflect more info on buying a un-titled vehicle...and no previous owner info is easy found....mainly, the Bond process.
                What a freaking pain in the ASSSSSS!!!!

If you don't have a title for one of your bikes.....get it.
                If someone is selling without one, let them know they need to get one (if they just lost it)....
                Replacement titles are cheap. Title transfers are cheap. You don't have to get a plate at the same time.
                When buying a vehicle, just put a lower dollar amount on the vehicle and save the taxes...'specially if it IS or is GOING to be a track\race bike.
                If the vehicle is over 10-years old (iirc)...DMV doesn't keep tabs of miles & dollar value.

So...if you buy a 3 year old truck for $30,000 and then try to list that you paid $4,000....DMV will red-flag that as fraud. Don't be stoopid.
                If you buy a 15 yr old bike for $3,000 and report it as a $1,700 sale....you're prob OK. or $1,000 as a "parts" bike...prob OK.
                WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Comment

Working...
                X