Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another tire topic - how much street wear is too much?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rocky5000100 View Post
    Just called Woodstock Harley, they aren't sure if they'll have a tire trailer at 8/1 Event yet, and he said it would be mostly dunlop. Bleh.
    Q3 / Q3+ rock for track days! Perfect for Yellow / Orange Motovid riders. I want to try the Q4s as my "fast" tire next time. Come on, Rocky!
    Motovid CR
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 (track warrior)
    2004 Ducati ST4s (road warrior)
    2009 Harley-Davidson Street Glide (Couch Potato-potato)

Comment

Badger is slow. Get Michelin Power Cup EVOs.
      2004 BMW R1100SA(street/Deer Spear)
      2008 Suzuki SV650 (track\race CCS AM#259)

Comment

Originally posted by Spoot View Post
        after seeing the photo, that center might not get through tech.
        I know somebody who made it through tech with worse than that at RA with MotoVid in July. The track ate up the back tire by mid-day. He ended up going to Farrell to get some stickies to finish the day and will now be back in August.
        1000cc of testosterone

Comment

If I remember correctly his friends forced him to buy tires. :P

Comment

I've cropped the pictures to protect the guilty person in question.

Back on topic:

Originally posted by ITworker View Post
            I will be riding with MOTOVID in the yellow group this time.
            You'll get through tech. But be prepared for the three long straights at RA to use up that center. If Jason Farrell is there, he can put some Pirellis on for you.
            1000cc of testosterone

Comment

Now, that looks thin.

I thinking about just getting them swapped out now. I don't want to sit out a session waiting on tire change.

Comment

To be fair, I'd been told when tech'ing in at the prior track day that I should probably get some new tires before the next track day. (They likely won't say anything to you.) Then I'd done some calm road riding. Didn't think about the tires until the day before this recent track day. They were just showing the cords in a spot, but positioning that spot down during tech worked. Figured in Orange I'd use up the edges and it shouldn't be a problem. Well ... RA doesn't keep you on the edges all the time and hard acceleration took its toll. Ended up getting new tires at the track as I kind of expected when loading up the night before. Yes, my friends were looking out for me.

Farrell changed them between sessions; didn't miss any on-track time. I liked the Qualifiers (but not the Q2) and more recently the Pilot Power 2CT, but with Pirelli as Farrell's only option, I'm now on the Diablo Super Corsa SC2. They are sticky.
                1000cc of testosterone

Comment

Originally posted by Chargers View Post
                  They were just showing the cords in a spot, but positioning that spot down during tech worked. Figured in Orange I'd use up the edges and it shouldn't be a problem.
                  You, I mean "your friend" went to a track day with a tire that was already showing cords!? That's a bad, bad, BAD idea. And then tried to hide it during tech!?!?!? Please promise me "your friend" will never, EVER do this again. Not only are you risking your safety, but the safety of others around you if/when that tire develops a problem or catastrophically loses traction. There is a reason you are required to tech your bike, and doing something like this totally defeats the purpose. As a "Orange Brother" rider, reading this really irritates me.

The more worn a tire is, the faster it will wear. It's almost exponential; it's crazy. It has to do with the thinner tread not being able to hold heat because there is a much smaller thermal mass. It's just a fact, whether on the street or track. Once you hit those wear bars, the tire goes much faster than it had prior to that. If it's ever questionable, get new tires. It's just not worth the consequences, to you or the people you're riding around.
                  Motovid CR
                  2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 (track warrior)
                  2004 Ducati ST4s (road warrior)
                  2009 Harley-Davidson Street Glide (Couch Potato-potato)

Comment

Originally posted by ITworker View Post
                    Now, that looks thin.

I thinking about just getting them swapped out now. I don't want to sit out a session waiting on tire change.
                    Very good idea. MV is going to be hawks on tire wear in tech now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chargers View Post
                      To be fair, I'd been told when tech'ing in at the prior track day that I should probably get some new tires before the next track day. (They likely won't say anything to you.) Then I'd done some calm road riding. Didn't think about the tires until the day before this recent track day. They were just showing the cords in a spot, but positioning that spot down during tech worked. Figured in Orange I'd use up the edges and it shouldn't be a problem. Well ... RA doesn't keep you on the edges all the time and hard acceleration took its toll. Ended up getting new tires at the track as I kind of expected when loading up the night before. Yes, my friends were looking out for me.

Farrell changed them between sessions; didn't miss any on-track time. I liked the Qualifiers (but not the Q2) and more recently the Pilot Power 2CT, but with Pirelli as Farrell's only option, I'm now on the Diablo Super Corsa SC2. They are sticky.
                      You showed up to a track day with a tire already showing cords?! That's one of the most stupid fucking things I've ever heard... then on top of that tried to hide it from tech? That's almost worth a track ban in my eyes... intentionally endangering yourself and others and then hiding it on top of that... There's no place for stupid shit like that on the track... use your fucking head.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
                        As a "Orange Brother" rider, reading this really irritates me.
                        Yes, in the excitement to start the day, I made a mistake/bad decision. As noted, I expected to replace the tire and I did when it was pointed out how bad it got. I have not done something like this before and never will again. But I didn't consider the potential impact to others. To my riding brothers and sisters, I apologize. I am sorry.
                        Last edited by Chargers; 08-01-2018, 06:22 AM.
                        1000cc of testosterone

Comment

Working...
                        X