No announcement yet.

EICMA Announcements: Aprilia RS 660

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric bikes might be finally coming around. New Lightning electric motorcycle: 150 mph, 150 miles, 35 min charge, $13k

If those 4 data points are all true, it's a game changer. All the current electric brand motorcycle makes should be shaking in their boots and coming up with a new business plan right now. Their bikes are 2x as expensive as they should be. Or in the case of the Harley Livewire, 2.5x but slower and less range and longer charge time.
    John K - Appleton

Comment

Originally posted by Zaph View Post
      Electric bikes might be finally coming around. New Lightning electric motorcycle: 150 mph, 150 miles, 35 min charge, $13k

If those 4 data points are all true, it's a game changer. All the current electric brand motorcycle makes should be shaking in their boots and coming up with a new business plan right now. Their bikes are 2x as expensive as they should be. Or in the case of the Harley Livewire, 2.5x but slower and less range and longer charge time.
      It's super interesting, but I'm not holding my breath on it. I want it to be true, I just have a feeling some details are missing. Like it can have all those things, just not at once, or at that price. We'll see though. They do know how to build a machine that performs, for sure.
      Matt J., Appleton
      2015 Yamaha R3
      Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-J2 View Post
        I just have a feeling some details are missing.
        The batteries explode after a year. Hahah.

John K - Appleton

Comment

I read about the Lightening yesterday too. Like Matt, as much as I WANT this to be true, I'm skeptical. Unless these guys have invented some sort of new battery technology, there's a catch somewhere.
          Motovid CR
          2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 (track warrior)
          2004 Ducati ST4s (road warrior)
          2009 Harley-Davidson Street Glide (Couch Potato-potato)

Comment

Electric vehicles (in general) may be coming around and much more functional now, but I am having a hard time getting at all excited about them.

Comment

I've had my Tesla model 3 for about 3 months now and would love to see these electric bikes take off. I don't pretend to think that I am somehow saving money or the environment by driving it, but the way the car accelerates and handles is really something you have to experience. The instant torque at any speed is pretty awesome and as long as they can keep the weight under control, a bike with that linear power would be a blast to ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
                I read about the Lightening yesterday too. Like Matt, as much as I WANT this to be true, I'm skeptical. Unless these guys have invented some sort of new battery technology, there's a catch somewhere.
                I doubt there's any breakthroughs. They might just be planning on making use of economies of scale.
                John K - Appleton

Comment

I doubt there's any breakthroughs. They might just be planning on making use of economies of scale.
                  Could be and that would be interesting. I'm just keeping my hopes down a bit. Obviously it's not a range of 150mi @ 150mph, but I do hope it's not just 150mi city range (hough it's not terrible I guess). Zero does at least list both ranges and what speed they arrive at that figure. HD specifically called out their range as City, not highway. Could be because they sell big touring baggers and feel only city riders buy electric, or could be their machine doesn't look so good for highway range.

Same with charging. Zero will sell you faster charging and all, but not at the base price. So is the Lightning selling it all as one, or is it an upgrade option?

I've been pondering a Zero S off/on for a bit, but I actually would like to do a couple moto-trips and it doesn't look feasible on an e-moto just yet. Then again, I might never actually take those trips soo..

I'm still interested in it, I just... well I work for an equipment wholesaler and my wife works in marketing, so all ads are too good to be true! We'll see. Could be quite the impact to the e-moto market as a whole, though.
                  Matt J., Appleton
                  2015 Yamaha R3
                  Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

Working...
                  X