New helmet standard for MotoGP and WSBK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New helmet standard for MotoGP and WSBK

Looks like FIM is sending out helmets for their own testing. Starting in 2020 all FIM classes will only be allowed to use the helmets certified by them.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2019/0...updates/282868
    Like me on Facebook at Yellow Duck Racing
    LB Photography, Apex Custom Coating, Track Graphix, Spears Racing

So what is their standard, is it different? Are they actually doing testing themselves? Seems like a strange move, that i don't really see the point of unless there is some major issue they are taking with current standards, and if there is, i would like to hear what it is. If they aren't publishing reasoning, it looks like a money grab (I suspect helmet manufactures will have to pay to be certified, and pay to sell any helmet that has their certification, which you know many people will think they need the FIM helmet....

Just my thoughts!
    Farm to Table Beef, Made Simple. Pasture Raised Beef, from our farm shipped to your door: www.scholzefamilybeef.com

Comment

I read about this a few weeks ago, and yes FIM has developed their own standard to test helmets against. I forget all of the details an of course forgot where I read the article, but probably Motorcyclist / Cycle World / Sport Rider online. One of their quotes made it sound like the FIM standard was tougher than the current SNELL or others, and they were hoping to set the bar higher for the industry. I'll see if I can find the article.
      Motovid CR
      2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 (track warrior)
      2004 Ducati ST4s (road warrior)
      2009 Harley-Davidson Street Glide (Couch Potato-potato)

Comment

Here's the URL for the program website: http://www.frhp.org/helmets

Comment

It's a money grab. That's all anything in the world ever is these days. If they have to explain it, they will just say "But... Marco Simoncelli!"

The only way I accept this is if they put Snell out of business. We don't need mutliple approvals on helmets.
          John K - Appleton

Comment

I am all for pushing helmet safety forward. I know there was issues in the past with snell not updating their standard. But every standard has that risk. Helmet manufactures will for the most part build to meet a standard, so someone needs to keep pushing the standard forward.
            Farm to Table Beef, Made Simple. Pasture Raised Beef, from our farm shipped to your door: www.scholzefamilybeef.com

Comment

Working...
            X