Anyone else see this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by helmsman View Post
    I guess the price point doesn't seem that unreasonable to me, when you look at the field. Its meant to compete with the KTM's/huskys/betas. And i bet parts will be more reasonable and accessible on a Honda then those...I am sure they could go budget on everything and save a few grand...so you can spend the money to get it back to what you want...

Certainly not the bike for everyone. But the world has enough low budget disappointing dual sports IMO.

What are you guys thinking price point should be for a ripper, that in theory needs very little?
    $10K seems fair for a bike this well set up. It's still $400 cheaper than the KTM 690.

The thing is, I would take this Honda over the KTM any day. As a former 690 owner, I can attest the thing was a fire breathing monster, but the fuel injection sucked ass and the bike was so maintenance intensive that I spent more time wrenching than riding. The 690 was a fun bike but long term just not that great to live with.

Let me give you some examples of what it's like to live with a KTM: Changing the oil there are 4 filters. 2 different size internal filters and 2 screens. Now imagine all that safety wired. The magura mineral oil clutch blew the seal once a year and dumped mineral oil into the transmission. The slipper clutch was awesome when it was in adjustment, which it would only hold for one day at the kart track. The TPS voltages needed to be adjusted twice a year or the thing would stall every time you pull in clutch when stopping. The KTM's exhaust valve would get tight in about half the mileage the manual says to do a valve check. Replace rocker arm bearings every 6000 miles. Full top end rebuild needed at 20K miles. I could go on.

A 70 hp 300 lb bike is fun, but factor in all the other BS to deal with and then not as much fun anymore.

John K - Appleton

Comment

Yep, that is exactly what i was getting at. Of course we would all like every bike to be cheaper, but i just don't think it is realistic if it is truly set up like they make it sound. If you want a cheaper dual sport, there is a fist full of them from the Japanese companies, and most are pretty disappointing.
      Farm to Table Beef, Made Simple. Pasture Raised Beef, from our farm shipped to your door: www.scholzefamilybeef.com

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78EEWEXjF2Q

Word is mid 40's HP for the US version. I suspect it is handcuffed for emissions and noise, so probably has plenty more with a bit of work.

I am hoping sales are shitty, and lots of left overs available in a year or so.
        Farm to Table Beef, Made Simple. Pasture Raised Beef, from our farm shipped to your door: www.scholzefamilybeef.com

Comment

With a pipe and a tune I bet it's low 50's. I'll check the used market in 2020 for people who made the horrible mistake of buying new.
          John K - Appleton

Comment

But then you're missing out on a year of fun!
            Matt J., Appleton
            2015 Yamaha R3
            Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-J2 View Post
              But then you're missing out on a year of fun!
              Yeah, but divorces get expensive as well....lol.

Comment

Working...
              X