Longer Off Road Ride/Camp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longer Off Road Ride/Camp

Anyone on here done it? Just getting starting planning a ride with a buddy of mine, the guy i went and visited in this thread: http://forum.wiriders.com/forum/gene...7-weekend-ride

We want to do a 6-7 day off road trip...thinking either the Continental Divide Trail, or to Alaska. Want to do it on trail orientated dual sports, 250-500, not big Adv tanks. Looking for challenging riding and being somewhat off grid. Will probably hit a hotel a couple nights, just find a place to camp out of sight and hope the bears don't find us several nights. Any tips/tricks for packing, wild camping, etc etc? Or open to other routes. We are fairly open on routes, we will probably ship bikes and fly to a start point, much nicer then slabbing a dual sport across the plains.

Trip is a couple years off as we both have young families. But figure getting a jump start on planning and gear prep is a good thing.
    Farm to Table Beef, Made Simple. Pasture Raised Beef, from our farm shipped to your door: www.scholzefamilybeef.com

sorry. I got nuthin.
    WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Thank You to my personal, CCS Racing sponsors: WiRiders.com, Cycle Gear, TrackGraphix.com

Comment

Well, if by "to Alaska" you mean WI-AK, then I think you're out of luck unless you really extend the trip length. From Appleton to Hyder is 40hrs, by highway I know you're west of here but that's only going to shave a few hours. Hyder is more or less the closest you can get to, and it's only within AK by a couple miles.

Though if you fly in and ride around, I know there were bike rental places in Fairbanks, but it's been near 16yrs since I lived there. I've read they still have some, though. So that could be an option.

Other options would be the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail, there's a fella who put together some trail maps in the UP, or pick a state with a Backcountry Discovery Route (BDR) and head out there. ridebdr.com I'd have to find a link to the UP stuff, I found it on ADVRider. Which isn't a bad place to look as well, they have regional sub-forums and you can find options that way, if you're looking to hit one or more states not in or bordering WI.

Note that I've never ridden dirt, but it's kind of on my to-do list so I've been doing some looking as well.
      Last edited by Matt-J2; 04-02-2019, 07:14 AM.
      Matt J., Appleton
      2015 Yamaha R3
      Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

Leave off point from Alaska would be Langbank, Sask. Either ship bike there and fly to my buddies, or truck there.
        Farm to Table Beef, Made Simple. Pasture Raised Beef, from our farm shipped to your door: www.scholzefamilybeef.com

Comment

That should knock some time off, yeah. I don't know much about Canada, but I expect extending your time in BC and lower AK could net some fun riding in the mountains there.
          Matt J., Appleton
          2015 Yamaha R3
          Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

Oh, have you considered Montana/Idaho? I'd have to look up whereabouts exactly, but I've read the northern half of Idaho has a lot of good riding. There's paved and unpaved twisty roads, plus genuine trail/offroad riding.

Disclaimer: I grew up in southern Idaho and would love to stop back in sometime, so I'm somewhat partial to that state.
            Matt J., Appleton
            2015 Yamaha R3
            Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

Current leading options:
              Ship Bikes to Calgary, fly in, then do the Continental Divide Trail going south, ship back from some point when we run out of time. (Buddy has contacts in Calgary that can unload bikes)
              Or, he has another friend who flies cargo plane into northern Canada into the various small towns up there. Have him fly us way up north somewhere and ride south...

Idea is for it to be remote, with challenging riding.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsman View Post
                Current leading options:

Or, he has another friend who flies cargo plane into northern Canada into the various small towns up there. Have him fly us way up north somewhere and ride south...

Idea is for it to be remote, with challenging riding.
                OK, this sounds pretty awesome right here. So does the other, but there's nothing quite like going through remote areas and forging your own path.

Matt J., Appleton
                2015 Yamaha R3
                Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

Well we wouldn't be really forging our own path, there are roads, and have to be able to find fuel, lol

I am leaning CDT. I think better scenery, more epic roads, and i assume less mosquitos. I suspect the roads back from up north in canada are just going to be relatively long gravel roads through trees/swamp.

Comment

Working...
                  X