How hard is it to swap tires?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hard is it to swap tires?

So I have a set of tires I'd like to use for the track next year, but I'm not sure I want them on all the time. How hard is it to swap tires back and forth? What sort of equipment would I need, and would it maybe better to try and buy extra rims? I suppose I could just ride until I get a flat spot and replace also. Wheels seem expensive!
    Matt J., Appleton
    2015 Yamaha R3

Wheels do "seem" expensive until you pay for several M&Bs.
    2004 BMW R1100SA(street/Deer Spear)
    1999 BMW R1100S(track/race CCS AM#259)
    1999 BMW R1100S(parts)

Comment

I know Zaph will chime in on this soon as we both use a Pit Posse bead breaker and balance our tires,well worth the time and money.I used to swap tires from street to track until this year its a dedicated track bike.Rims can be pricey even for a used set.The guy I bought my bike from wanted 500.00 for a set with slicks on them.

Comment

Honestly, just leave them on all the time. Well race tires in the summer at least. I used to do that with my Triumphs, put around on the street with race tires. Just don't leave them on over the winter in freezing temperatures.

The only thing about race tires on the street is that they take longer to warm up. So as long as you aren't railing corners as soon as you get out of your driveway, you will be fine. For longer street rides on race tires, you would probably air up a couple PSI to get more life out of them.

Track tires typically get the most use on the edge anyway. Might as well use them on the street and get some use out of the middle. Tires are cheap on these 300 class bikes anyway. Just use them up the way you see fit and get a new set for $240 at racetireservice.com.
        John K - Appleton
        Favorite Tracks: USAIR, RA and BHF
        Ninja 300 CCS Ultralight Thunderbike

Comment

It depends how nice your rims are. Assuming you just get a cheap bead breaker and use a couple tire irons no matter how careful you are you will ding them up here and there. I can usually change out a set of tires in an hour or so plus another half hour to balance. I run dunlop q3 on both track and street but I do have to change them quite often because of racking up miles. I run more pressure on the street to get better life.

Comment

If you think you are going to stay in the sport a while or even motorcycling do yourself a favor and buy a tire changer. I have a Cycle hill model and I wish I bought it a looooong time ago. Change tires are your pace and when ever you want. Also you can recoup the money you spent on the tire changer for charging to do tire changes for people. $20 off the bike is what I used to charge. It will pay for the tire changer real quick.

Comment

I think it depends on what tires you are planning to mount. Extremely track-worthy tires are still excellent street tires with good life. On a 300 and at novice pace at the track, a good street tire for all-around use would be your most efficient choice.
              THANKS to:
              TrackGraphix.com....Sportbike Track Time....Midwest Track Day
              ....Motovid.com....
              and Participating WiR Members
              for your support!

WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Comment

Cool, thanks for the input all. I'd still like to learn how to mount and balance my own, but I think I can avoid trying to swap them every time I head to the track. I think I'd like a spare set of rims at some point for rain tire purposes, but I'm not that far along yet.
                Matt J., Appleton
                2015 Yamaha R3

Comment

Your best bet is to get a second set of rims; swapping tires every time you want to do a track day, even if you have the right equipment, will get old fast. Honestly for you, I'd get a set of Q3s and run them both on the track and street. Until you get into the very low 20s at BFR, Q3s will be great track tires for you.
                  Motovid CR
                  2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 (track warrior)
                  2004 Ducati ST4s (road warrior)
                  2009 Harley-Davidson Street Glide (Couch Potato-potato)

Comment

All of what Badger said, get Q3s, don't take them off. And if you give them a good solid lap to warm up, they can go much lower than 1:20s.

Comment

I had thought about getting a tire changer and doing my own mounting and balancing. Then I started looking at the foot print of the tools necessary and decided I just didn't have the room for it. At most, I spend $160 a year for mounting and balancing. For that money I know the tires and done right. Plus, Steve has never put a nick in any of my rims with his machine. I don't have to buy weights, lube, cores, or other tools.

Yeah, I could put that money to buying a good balancer, but I prefer to keep paying Steve.
                      Like me on Facebook at Yellow Duck Racing
                      LB Photography, Apex Custom Coating, Track Graphix, Spears Racing

Comment

Make friends with someone that owns a NoMar...
                        Or just get a good set of Hypersport tires and leave them on. If you just want to learn how to do it, come by the tire trailer and I'll show you how.
                        www.MidwestTrackDay.com
                        www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday
                        www.GoodGripRacing.com

Please remember the Roadracing World Action Fund in the upcoming holiday season
                        https://secure.echoalley.com/actionfund/

Comment

Welp. guess it's solved then, I'll get these tires put on, ride em until I can't, then get some new ones. No worries. And with a trip to one or more tire trailer to learn it anyway, cause that's cool.
                          Matt J., Appleton
                          2015 Yamaha R3

Comment

Originally posted by MaximumJEFF View Post
                            Make friends with someone that owns a NoMar...
                            Jeff, we're friends right?

Comment

Working...
                            X