Fiberglass modification on a belly-pan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberglass modification on a belly-pan

So, this may lead to some general chat on fiberglass, but I have a specific project in front of me.

I bought a belly-pan that is "made" for my VTR250.
    As I try to fit it, I knew that I would have to do some mods to it, but I had no clue they would be this drastic!

It didn't fit around the mount for the kickstand (stand removed) - I was able to do a cut-out for that.
    The stock exhaust mid-pipe didn't fit into the notch\bulge for it - I cut and trimmed to get that good.
    Lastly - the exhaust collector kept the pan from lifting up to get even CLOSE to where the bolt holes are.

Here is my outline to cut out, but it has gotten bigger since pic. lol
    bellypan2.jpg

Here is what I'm dealing with - and need to 'fix'
    It is now 6.5" x 10"-ish
    bellypan3.jpg

I was thinking of forming a turkey pan into the rectangle shape I need, strap it to the underside of the bellypan and then lay fiberglass from the inside.
    Will fiberglass stick to the turkey pan?
    Don't you need a release agent?
    WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Thank You to my personal, CCS Racing sponsors: WiRiders.com, Cycle Gear, TrackGraphix.com

here is what the Canadian guy's belly pan looks like.

spot_bellypan2.jpgspot_bellypan3.jpg

spot_bellypan1.jpg
    WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Thank You to my personal, CCS Racing sponsors: WiRiders.com, Cycle Gear, TrackGraphix.com

Comment

Just put wax paper between the pan and the fiberglass. Resin wont stick to wax paper.
      Wait a minute. Look at those shifty eyes. That devious half-smile. Those kazoo-kissed lips.

CCS # 14 EX
      ASRA # 214 EX
      RP Motorsports, Suomy Helmets

Comment

Originally posted by Skipper View Post
        Just put wax paper between the pan and the fiberglass. Resin wont stick to wax paper.
        This. I've also used packing tape as a release film on the parts I've done in the past. Packing tape also leaves a half-way decent finish on the resulting part as long as you carefully lay it out.

Comment

I decided to bail on forming a extended underside, such a pain.
          The Canadian guy suggested that if he had to do it again - he would just chop the whole rear part off the belly - lower the whole chunk an inch, then glass the seems.
          That seems like a brilliant way to do this...so, I will glass in the void I created and start over.

I get some pics of this version of the mod.
          ....and I'm using waxed paper to fill the hole back in
          WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Comment

Working...
          X