Your Advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Advice?

I would like some advice from you weirdos.

My current race bike
    2008 SV650S

Pros:
    I own it and know exactly what should be addressed
    Engine rebuilt in ss trim would make about 85hp according to Spears but cost is $500 to $1500-more because I would want to undercut the trans.

Cons:
    Dual spark
    "bent beyond race spec" forks-TSE
    tired 26000 mile engine that uses some oil needs ss rebuild.
    Fairly simple fix tiny hairline crack in case that very slowly seeps oil (thanks to Virginia in the VA/Spoot crash)

Possible donor (swap) bike https://wausau.craigslist.org/mcy/d/...690277627.html
    2004 SV650S

Pros:
    13000 street miles owned by same person 9 years
    Rebuilt stock suspension (i'd assume fully straight because it wasn't crashed thrice)
    Lighter (aluminum subframe)
    Normal spark plugs

Cons:
    Gotta buy it $2400-2600. Would sell streeted race bike in spring for ~2000-2200.
    Still stock engine making about 73hp

If I go the swap route I would transfer all stock street body parts to race bike(which is clear titled) and sell it as a kinda rough 2008 with 26k miles for a ~$400 loss in the spring.

Either way it's a bit complicated. Donor bike is a gamble for what I can sell it for in the spring but I could come out ahead in the money department + less use on parts as a whole.
    2004 BMW R1100SA(street/Deer Spear)
    2008 Suzuki SV650 (track\race CCS AM#259)

Here we have "VS 650" (har) in Green Bay. 12K miles, '03 single plug. $1800. Rough shape but cheap.
    https://greenbay.craigslist.org/mcy/...701886880.html
    John K - Appleton

Comment

What's wrong with dual plugs? I'd think that would be a plus unless there was something else different with the engine too (like more emissions crap)

Comment

those VS650's are junk. I'd stay with the SV650!!
        WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Thank You to my personal, CCS Racing sponsors: WiRiders.com, Cycle Gear, TrackGraphix.com

Comment

That one in GB is what I would have in mind. And Geoff all I think it's some emissions with a few more complications but not too bad and something I would delete this winter.

Comment

From what I read, the dual spark has a poor combustion chamber making it produce slightly less HP. Or something like that. What many do is simply take out the second plug and put in a bolt to seal the combustion chamber. Then people go on about how the bolt can effect the combustion chamber also.
            Like me on Facebook at Yellow Duck Racing
            LB Photography, Apex Custom Coating, Track Graphix, Spears Racing

Comment

Tammy if you need me to take a preliminary look at the SV in GB let me know. I could probably run over after work. I work in Depere.
              John K - Appleton

Comment

I know a guy that can help you in the engine rebuild dept. The dual spark heads isnt a deal breaker to me. I've built one of those motors and didnt see the 2-3hp less that people claim because of the combustion cylinder shape. That being said, I wouldnt spend a bunch of money on dual plug head modifications. As far as 85hp in SS trim, absolutely not, but you also don't need 85 to be competitive.
                Jared Herbig Racing - "Like" me on Facebook - CCS #323
                01' SV650
                Lockhart Phillips - Vortex - Spears Racing - TSE - Gron4 - Motorex - Woodcraft

Comment

I know you don't want to hear this but........sell it and get a R6 09+ preferably setup the suspension for you new internals etc if not already done and ride the shit out of it.

Knowing you Im 99.9% sure that's a no go option. Rebuild the SV and ride the shit out of it....SS motor (get with Herbig) rebuilt suspension. Go on a diet and exercise a bit to loose weight? You know its cheaper

Just my .02 hahaha...I mean yamahahahahahahahahahaa

Comment

In your situation I would look at the one along the lines of the cheaper one in Green Bay. I can see you're considering having street-able parts come with it so that you can include them in the sale of your current bike. It's in rougher shape so you can maybe get it cheaper, and paying less now you stand to lose less in the resale. Good street bike parts there yet on that cheaper one. And as far as the rest of the bike goes, it's a perfect starting point going with either.
                    THANKS to:
                    TrackGraphix.com....Sportbike Track Time....Midwest Track Day
                    ....Motovid.com....
                    and Participating WiR Members
                    for your support!

WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by Herbig View Post
                      As far as 85hp in SS trim, absolutely not, but you also don't need 85 to be competitive.
                      Ha I know I don't need that much to be competitive but if I was rebuilding I might as well. I tossed 85hp out there because of the Spears Dyno sheet. Dunno what key part I would be missing.
                      https://www.spearsenterprises.com/03-06-sv650.html

Originally posted by Thinkmoto View Post
                      .sell it and get a R6 09+ preferably setup the suspension for you new internals etc if not already done and ride the shit out of it.

Go on a diet and exercise a bit to lose weight? You know its cheaper

Just my .02 hahaha...I mean yamahahahahahahahahahaa
                      NOOOOPE lol
                      The R6 would put me in the meat grinder class and I'd be jumping right in at the expert level. Not very ideal.

As for the diet. That is in the plan .. we'll see if that happens.

Originally posted by -CN- View Post
                      In your situation I would look at the one along the lines of the cheaper one in Green Bay. I can see you're considering having street-able parts come with it so that you can include them in the sale of your current bike. It's in rougher shape so you can maybe get it cheaper, and paying less now you stand to lose less in the resale. Good street bike parts there yet on that cheaper one. And as far as the rest of the bike goes, it's a perfect starting point going with either.
                      It does look like a good buy. However with the damage looking like it was at some speed(needing new radiator) I would be less confident about the forks. Still seriously considering..

Originally posted by Zaph View Post
                      Tammy if you need me to take a preliminary look at the SV in GB let me know. I could probably run over after work. I work in Depere.
                      Thank you for the offer. I might just run up if i get free time though. And I've got to decide on the bike swap route first.
                      Last edited by Tammy; 10-01-2018, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Swap for lower miles + street stuff.
                        take a compression tester along.
                        WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Thank You to my personal, CCS Racing sponsors: WiRiders.com, Cycle Gear, TrackGraphix.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tammy View Post

Ha I know I don't need that much to be competitive but if I was rebuilding I might as well. I tossed 85hp out there because of the Spears Dyno sheet. Dunno what key part I would be missing.
                          https://www.spearsenterprises.com/03-06-sv650.html
                          Wow, the SS and SB engine dyno charts look almost identical, I wasn't expecting that. I'd be curious if the SB motor was built to last longer for the same power. Otherwise, what's the point?

I'm with Spoot, get the yellow one, swap everything and sell it for what you paid in the spring. You can send out tubes to get straightened.

Comment

Thanks guys!

ROCKY says the 03' is a good bet with a few better factory parts. (I trust him because he does too much research on these things)
                            Last edited by Tammy; 10-02-2018, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Yup, I agree, buy the GB 2003 VS650, do the swaps, sell your old bike.
                              You should see me in a headsock !

Comment

Working...
                              X