Favorite brand of tools

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most hand tools Husky unless channellock's makes them

I've used alot of higher end tools and either they break or they don't have the higher tooth count that I like

Comment

Originally posted by Tammy View Post
      Whatever I can borrow off of people

Anything in my dads shop if I don't have it.

Harbor freight anything. (if I break one it makes me feel like a big strong man!)

In that order.
      Fixed
      You should see me in a headsock !

Comment

All Craftsmen at work and home for the most part. I have some snap-on, proto and etc. Being a Maintenance guy I need decent stuff. I go through a set of standard gear wrenches every year, normally destroy a few 9/16 wrenches every year. We use all hilti cordless power tools, we destroy impacts and drills rather frequently, my grinder got dropped in a oil quench tank brand new and still works amazingly 3-4years later.

FYI lowes carries craftsmen now, saw the commercial last night. I'll stick to them over snap-on, too rich for my blood.

I bought a set of snap-ring pliers on amazon last year, they are very nice,
        https://www.amazon.com/d/Snap-Ring-P...ap+ring+pliers

Comment

Great thread!

I'm late to the party, sorry: I have Craftsman hand tools which I acquired slowly over the early 2000's. I have had them replace many ratchet handles since then. If I was to buy another set today I think I would give Stanley a shot at being a cost effective but decently robust option with a lifetime warranty. They are one of the few value brands which has 6 point only sockets kits. I stay away from 12pts. I attached a link from a representative kit.

Related story: I tried to pull the cam pulleys off my Subaru WRX EJ20 motor which are notoriously difficult to break loose. Had a 3/8" internal hex bit, 3/8" to 1/2" adapter on a 18" - 1/2" breaker bar with a jack handle on it for additional leverage (they were hard to break loose like I said). Snapped off two Craftsman's like nothing on the same bolt, it didn't budge. Went on my Subaru forum. Guy on there said to buy the Stanley kit 85-708, I did, same set up as above to remove all the cam bolts and the Stanley tool held up just fine. Night and day difference on that tool:
          https://www.stanleytools.com/product...ket-set/85-708

The 269-piece Mechanics Tool Set is a complete set of tools for mechanics that includes ratchets (? in. to ? in. drive sizes), SAE and Metric sockets (? in. to ? in. drive sizes), extension bars, nut bits, hex keys, combination wrenches, and more. It all comes packaged in an injection molded case for easy tool storage.

Comment

Geoff, I'm sure by know you've found a good enough impact driver. I've owned many, I've broken Snap-On, Mac, Matco, and Proto brand impact drivers in my carreer. There is a brand new Mac set in my toolbox right now. The bits, themselves are sturdy and worth every penny to buy quality. The drivers however seem to be made at the same place and rebranded. I have a 1/2" drive impact driver at work that must be from the 70's and it's fantastic,

but if you have a high quality air source. This is the only way to go. I can't believe I just learned about this in the last 2 years. The bit and air hammer are fantastic, and if needed, a little heat and this thing will take care of almost anything.

https://www.amazon.com/Mayhew-37316-.../dp/B008M23A6Y

Comment

Oh, I'm not talking about the quality of this specific bit and air impact. Mine all came off the MAC tools truck.

Comment

Yeah, good enough is about it. I picked up a Kobalt 1/2" impact which has done everything I've needed, but that has never been anything worse than a cross-threaded lug nut on my truck.

My compressor is in need of an overhaul, but that might cost as much as I spent on the thing. It was a good 2nd hand purchase and is probably worth rebuilding. I don't think an air-hammer is in my future until that has been done.

I never knew about those bolt breakers though. It's good to know what's out there for when things really don't go your way. Thank you.

Comment

I always run rusty water through my harbor freight tools. No problem.
                  2004 BMW R1100SA(street/Deer Spear)
                  2008 Suzuki SV650 (track\race CCS AM#259)

Comment

I didn't know about those air operated ones either Jason....might have to grab one for the shop. We do have an air hammer already.

I think many people fall short in understanding what good air supply means. I have seen more then one big fancy air compressor hooked to a big air gun, with a tiny little restrictive hose in between. One mistake we made building our shop was not plumbing a large air line all the way around the outside of the shop. guess we still could.
                    Farm to Table Beef, Made Simple. Pasture Raised Beef, from our farm shipped to your door: www.scholzefamilybeef.com

Comment

You're right Will. My new shop space will be set up with 1" tubing for feeder runs and one or two ports near the door in case we need to actually do work. But for the toy space, which is most of it, I'll probably be using 3/8". Been looking at Pex because it's cheaper than steel pipe.

Geoff, When I move, I'll have a 220v stand up compressor (80 gal I think) to get rid of, about March or whenever I can get my bikes to the new shop. I'd served me very well, but the new shop has 2 that are nicer.

Comment

Originally posted by JHerheim View Post
                        Geoff, When I move, I'll have a 220v stand up compressor (80 gal I think) to get rid of, about March or whenever I can get my bikes to the new shop. I'd served me very well, but the new shop has 2 that are nicer.
                        Ooh, that would be sweet but I'm not sure when I'll be in the area next. How much would you be asking for it?

Comment

Working...
                        X