Tank grip help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank grip help!

So there's a couple different options for tank grips...Which ones have you used? What are your favorite? Good, bad, ugly? I've heard of issues with them sliding around and leaving nasty exposed adhesive, then others seem to have no issues with that?

I've never used them...never really had a problem on the SV650 due to the shape of the tank. The 848 is BAD though...have to squeeze the shit out of the tank to stay put, and it really wears me out.

I didn't want to put them on, because I think they take away from the looks of the bike, and I don't want it to cause problems in the paint...but I can't stand not having decent grip on the tank.

So, let me know your experience. Thanks!

Bike is a red 2012 Ducati 848 EVO...So black seems like it might be OK...maybe clear?

It ain't the prettiest, but I use the stick on truck-step stuff. Comes in a 2-pack of strips about 4"x16", though I'm sure you can get in 12x12 squares as well. I got the strips from WalMart, about $7, but have seen them at Fleet Farm and Harbor Freight as well. I just cut them to size and stuck them on. Seems to hold fine. I got the idea from @Rocky5000100 , I think he used/uses them on his SV.

I recently pulled one off a matte painted surface and it didn't bring any paint with it, been on about a year or so.
    Matt J., Appleton
    2015 Yamaha R3
    Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

I use the generic oval stomp grip on the monster. They seem to work well.

Comment

Ha yup, i made my own out of this, I think i got it from walmart though:
        https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...caAhKhEALw_wcB

Traced a cardboard cutout and they've stuck on 4 seasons!

But they're definitely not show bike ready lol.
        You should see me in a headsock !

Comment

I use clear Stomp Grip.

also had considered TechSpec Snakeskin.
          WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Thank You to my personal, CCS Racing sponsors: WiRiders.com, Cycle Gear, TrackGraphix.com

Comment

I have used the Tech Specs and they work and look pretty good. I believe they come off pretty easy too.
            Like me on Facebook at Yellow Duck Racing
            LB Photography, Apex Custom Coating, Track Graphix, Spears Racing

Comment

I like to use the Stomp Grip on the track bike because it gives you the the most aggressive grip between leathers & tank. I also have Tech Spec on my Ducati, and it's been on the tank for 14 years now and still sticking & working. I choose the Tech Spec for the street bike because I won't always be wearing leather pants and the spikes on the Stomp would be uncomfortable without leathers.
              Motovid CR
              2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 (track warrior)
              2004 Ducati ST4s (road warrior)
              2009 Harley-Davidson Street Glide (Couch Potato-potato)

Comment

Awesome, thanks for all the replies! It's definitely not a show bike, but it's not a race bike either. I'd like it to look good.

Tech Spec sounds like it's top of my list so far. 14 years is pretty damn impressive.

Comment

Tech Spec for sure... I've removed them at least 3 or 4 times on all three of my bikes I've had them on to paint or polish etc and they always stick right back on perfectly and grip great.

Comment

I didn't know that they offered this:
                    Track kit $30 !

They look kinda small, though
                    WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Thank You to my personal, CCS Racing sponsors: WiRiders.com, Cycle Gear, TrackGraphix.com

Comment

Originally posted by Spoot View Post
                      I didn't know that they offered this:
                      Track kit $30 !

They look kinda small, though
                      That might be perfect for me...I don't need a ton...and if they remove re-stick easily, I could sell them if they don't work/look good.

Comment

Working...
                      X