CCS Road America 6/30 - 7/1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I'll write some stuff.

Showed up Saturday morning on 4 hours of sleep. (Stupid evening shift at work)

Practice was good. Even though I have never ridden the SV at RA all of my brake points and lines were good due to a decent amount of experience at the track. All of the corners were nearly buttery smoooooth. Especially T14.

Race 1: GTL

Good start and got up to the back of the expert pack. About half way through the race(in 1st mind you) I noticed my exhaust was getting louder and louder. At this time I was battling with an FZ07 that owned me in the straights and some buzzy bastard <3 on a 2-stroke that owned me in the corners. It was an AMAZING and awesome 3 way battle for no place since I think we were all in different classes.

Anyway on the last lap buzzy B got past me in the chicane and motioned for me to "slow down..something wrong with your bike". I look down to see my muffler hanging by only the strap. All of the front end rivets had disappeared.

I pulled over in Canada Corner. Took me nearly 2 minutes to kick the can off and get permission to finish the race. I got 6th place out of 7 instead of 1st. BOO!

Race 2: LWSS

My time to shine right? Nope.
    As Rocky put it earlier I had a fuel malfunction. Rocky and I got to hot pit only to wait 5 minutes while they did some track cleaning. When we were cleared to go I started up and took off down hot pit..that's when my fuel light started blinking. crapcrapcrap

Had a good start. Hanging with a couple of expert stragglers and passing the whole little bike field over the next few laps. I totally forgot I was low on gas until the half way point. By that time my fuel light was on solid which means impending doom.

LAST LAP coming out of the carousel. Sputters. I know if I ride upright I can get a few more drops so I do that down the back straight where it died. Back to canada corner to wait for a lift. I get to watch the whole field of riders go by one by one. Dead last 6th instead of 1st. Poo!

Race 3: Thunderbike

Another great start. It's really easy to launch an SV! Doing great and in 1st battling with a classic GIXXER 750 Slingshot. Nice poofs of blue smoke every time he rings it's neck. I got an actual recorded 1st place!

Race 4: ULSB

Rain. Wet. Good start and followed Herbig around the whole time because I knew he wouldn't pull any dumb moves. Really boring "race" but another recorded 1st place for me. lol

The one thing I remember most is trying to draft SB built SVs. I can pull up next to them on the exit of the corners and draft right on their rear tire down the whole straight but every time I got out of the draft to pass it was obvious they had the motor. So I just passed them in the corners.

The videos I have are exciting!
    2004 BMW R1100SA(street/Deer Spear)
    1999 BMW R1100S(track/race CCS AM#259)
    1999 BMW R1100S(parts)

Comment

I got 10th place AM in GTU, MWSS, and MWSBK. I was satisfied considering I hadn't been there in 4 years. And this finish to the GTU race made my weekend. I've got the video on my Facebook page.

Comment

That's a great finish to the race!
        1999 BMW R1100S(parts)

Comment

Originally posted by cdenley View Post
          I got 10th place AM in GTU, MWSS, and MWSBK. I was satisfied considering I hadn't been there in 4 years. And this finish to the GTU race made my weekend. I've got the video on my Facebook page.
          Mmmm Triumph triple power. Cool panoramic pic. Had to go over to your page to see how you did that, looks like a 360 cam or something.
          John K - Appleton

Comment

nice finish cdenley!
            I was calling out 'draft him' - 'draft him, but, you gott'em anyway.
            WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Thank You to my personal, CCS Racing sponsors: WiRiders.com, Cycle Gear, TrackGraphix.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zaph View Post

Mmmm Triumph triple power. Cool panoramic pic. Had to go over to your page to see how you did that, looks like a 360 cam or something.
              Yeah, I mounted a Samsung Gear 360 camera on my tail. It is no Fly360, but it was available and gives me some great footage. For some reason almost all the video was missing from my memory card, so I'm glad that finish was still there!

Comment

Originally posted by Spoot View Post
                nice finish cdenley!
                I was calling out 'draft him' - 'draft him, but, you gott'em anyway.
                Thanks! I was definitely looking to draft him, but he went so far to the right I figured I'd go straight to the finish line.

Comment

1st place to 6th in GTL
                  Lots of battling with Anthony on his FZ07 and a dude on his Honda 125 2 stroke. Cornerspeed vs straight line speed vs some junky sv650 stuck in the middle.
                  https://youtu.be/NZEr-LGqDTI
                  1999 BMW R1100S(parts)

Comment

Here is 1st place down to last after running out of gas.

LWSS!
                    https://youtu.be/6qGfca0dCDQ
                    1999 BMW R1100S(parts)

Comment

Originally posted by Tammy View Post
                      1st place to 6th in GTL
                      Lots of battling with Anthony on his FZ07 and a dude on his Honda 125 2 stroke. Cornerspeed vs straight line speed vs some junky sv650 stuck in the middle.
                      https://youtu.be/NZEr-LGqDTI
                      Sweet! Yea anthony said he's making 85hp on his superbike FZ07!
                      You should see me in a headsock !

Comment

Last one worth watching. ULSB was rained out and boring.

Here is Thunderbike!
                        https://youtu.be/ptDne8MLGOI
                        1999 BMW R1100S(parts)

Comment

Saw on another forum someone racing a CRF450 supermoto last race. What the heck class is that legal in? And he was using a 12 x 9 cake pan for an oil catch pan. CCS must be getting lax with their rules these days. I would have loved to get involved with my old CFR450 but it was never legal anywhere.
                          John K - Appleton

Comment

Jeff P is racing a crf450 here.
                            pretty quick in it, too!
                            he was pitted with another SM guy who was racing as well.

500SS/500SB
                            UltraliteSS/SB

​​​​​
                            Last edited by Spoot; 08-10-2018, 09:30 AM.
                            WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Thank You to my personal, CCS Racing sponsors: WiRiders.com, Cycle Gear, TrackGraphix.com

Comment

Pouring through the rules now. Supersport starts with the phrase "SuperSport motorcycles are production machines sold by manufacturers and their dealers for street use." Special permission needed? Man, think if someone put a fairing on a CRF450 and resolved that barn door aerodynamics issue...

Mmm... 85 hp FZ07 sounds like fun too. Are those going to be mopping up the field of SV's pretty soon?
                              John K - Appleton

Comment

Originally posted by Zaph View Post
                                Pouring through the rules now. Supersport starts with the phrase "SuperSport motorcycles are production machines sold by manufacturers and their dealers for street use." Special permission needed? Man, think if someone put a fairing on a CRF450 and resolved that barn door aerodynamics issue...

Mmm... 85 hp FZ07 sounds like fun too. Are those going to be mopping up the field of SV's pretty soon?
                                Ha, well stock for stock, they're even. And both can be built up to superbike spec and 85 hp faily easily like Anthony's, so I don't think so. Once prices start coming down though, I'm sure you'll get more. The attractiveness of having a 180 rear, flash tune, autoblips, and just more modern features will soon prevail. I am thinking of selling my SV650 and street bike, and buying a FZ07 (or MT07 as it's now called), and building it for the track.
                                You should see me in a headsock !

Comment

Working...
                                X