Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slicks allowed in supersport now and new experimental class in the Midwest region.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slicks allowed in supersport now and new experimental class in the Midwest region.

Guess some people got an early xmas present.

Super TT is the new experimental class for the MW region. Unlimited twins and triples. Pretty much anything goes as long as its section 5 legal.
    Wait a minute. Look at those shifty eyes. That devious half-smile. Those kazoo-kissed lips.

CCS # 14 EX
    ASRA # 214 EX
    RP Motorsports, Suomy Helmets

How much of a difference does DOT vs slicks really make?

At what point would it be time to switch?

Asking for a friend
    2004 BMW R1100SA(street/Deer Spear)
    2008 Suzuki SV650 (track\race CCS AM#259)

Comment

CCS still has a stick up their asses. I am seriously thinking of just doing track days instead of giving CCS my money. They still won't allow the R3 into 300, yet the RC390 cup bikes are allowed into 300 superbike.

I am not sure what their major malfunction is over the R3. I might have to do some driving and spend my money with WERA instead. By the way, WERA has been allowing slicks in supersport for about 4 or 5 years now.

EDIT: The RC390 cup bikes are not allowed in 300 superbike. I miss read the rules. It is just allowed to run in the superbike class
      Last edited by Capitalview; 12-11-2018, 06:48 PM.
      Like me on Facebook at Yellow Duck Racing
      LB Photography, Apex Custom Coating, Track Graphix, Spears Racing

Comment

Originally posted by Tammy View Post
        How much of a difference does DOT vs slicks really make?

At what point would it be time to switch?

Asking for a friend
        It gives some advantages for bikes with limited tire size options. Some manufacturers often make race tire sizes in slicks and no DOT race rubber.

Comment

Originally posted by Capitalview View Post
          CCS still has a stick up their asses. I am seriously thinking of just doing track days instead of giving CCS my money. They still won't allow the R3 into 300, yet the RC390 cup bikes are allowed into 300 superbike.

I am not sure what their major malfunction is over the R3. I might have to do some driving and spend my money with WERA instead. By the way, WERA has been allowing slicks in supersport for about 4 or 5 years now.

EDIT: The RC390 cup bikes are not allowed in 300 superbike. I miss read the rules. It is just allowed to run in the superbike class
          I took a peek at the rules the other day after chatting with Zaph and I'm always confused about what's allowed in the 300 classes. I also kept seeing the note about the RC390 cup bikes, so you're not alone on that one.

Also makes me ponder what direction I want to go. I'm sure it's impossible to be competitive, but with Graves redoing their exhaust, flash, and airbox stuff to supposedly get 47hp, and Spears and Jesse Norton getting Superbike mods going...could be fun. Could also be disappointing/frustrating. I dunno what rules they run under out there in CA, just reading posts from people it seems tidier.
          Matt J., Appleton
          2015 Yamaha R3
          Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

Best thing to see what's allowed where is to look at some results. Then look at the rules to see what mods are allowed. Everything can run in 500SS with supersport rules and stock airboxes. The only classes as far as I know that have a hard 300 cc limit is supersport 300 and superbike 300. I'm not even sure why we need superbike 300... it's all the same guys running the same "supposedly" SS legal machines.

Honestly, it's all just a big mess because the manufacturers keep one-upping each other with displacement. The Ninja 400 is allowed in some classes which is hardly fair. First I was pissed at Yamaha because they couldn't compete with Kawasaki without adding 20cc to the engine. Then I got even more pissed at Kawi for making a 400. Then CCS went full retard by allowing the 400 in many ultralight classes. At least WorldSSP300 is managing the disparity with weight and rev limits. If CCS wasn't going to do that they should have buttoned up their classes.
            John K - Appleton

Comment

At least the SVs have a somewhat clear class structure.
              2004 BMW R1100SA(street/Deer Spear)
              2008 Suzuki SV650 (track\race CCS AM#259)

Comment

If I were to get back into racing today, I think I would indeed get on an SV. Or possibly a FZ07 if a decent priced one popped up. When I was racing a 300, I'd end up racing SV's anyway. All the white plate 300s would take off to claim the podium spots, leaving me the slow SV guys to battle with. Way bigger grids in lightweight.
                John K - Appleton

Comment

for Matt:

CCS 300 Supersport bikes:

Honda CBR250R
                  Honda CBR300R
                  Honda VTR250
                  Kawasaki Ninja 250 (can swap to get 17" wheels)
                  Kawasaki Ninja 300
                  Suzuki GSX250R
                  Yamaha RD250 (can swap to get 17" wheels)
                  Yamaha RD350 (can swap to get 17" wheels)
                  Hyosung GT250

There may be a few more possibilities out there....anyone wanna chime in??
                  -------------------
                  Any of these bikes can race up in 300 Superbike.
                  Any of these bikes can also race up a full class to 500 Supersport or even 500 Superbike.
                  -------------------
                  Supersport bikes must have been for sale by North American Dealers (Canada, USA, Mexico) for street use.
                  Superbike allows any bike in the world, for sale by dealers, for street use - through normal commercial channels.
                  -------------------
                  The KTM RC390 Cup bike was not a "street" bike for sale by dealers. It was a special option, to certain racers of certain ages to certain authorized dealers...so, don't let that model (in the CCS rule book) confuse any issues here. CCS has made an exception to allow this non-street use, non-commercial channel, race-only bike into the SS & SB classes.
                  Last edited by Spoot; 12-12-2018, 08:44 PM.
                  WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Thank You to my personal, CCS Racing sponsors: WiRiders.com, Cycle Gear, TrackGraphix.com

Comment

Yeah but supersport 300 is just one class and not even considered the popular one. Small grids. 500SS is considered the popular class. Probably because it's open to more bikes.

The difficult one is Moto3. One has to ask how the hell Kayla Yaakov is allowed to run a NSF 250. Sure she's a talented little girl but that thing makes 60 hp and she only weighs 90 lbs.
                    John K - Appleton

Comment

Thanks guys, things are more or less clear now. Even the bit about the SVs.
                      Matt J., Appleton
                      2015 Yamaha R3
                      Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

Im guessing 300 SS will be dead in the MW for 2019. Kawa contingency likely goes away and that takes away the motivation to fill the grid w/ 6 starters. Most of the ninja 250s you see have 300 motors so not SS legal. My rule proposal to allow that got shot down.
                        If you want to collect trophies, get a ninja 300 and ride it in SS. For half the cost, a 300 cc ninja 250 conversion lets you have fun in 300/500 SB, moto3, and 500 gt.

Comment

If you are really looking at racing, just run the R3. Grid at the back and run with the 300s. That will teach you a hell of a lot about racing. You won't score points, but you will gain gobs of experience. Plus it is a lot of fun to run with bikes that you are actually competitive against.

Oh, the lightweight class sounds like it is getting a big shake up too. I thought I saw someone say the KTM was now legal for that class. soooo...

Comment

Originally posted by Capitalview View Post
                            If you are really looking at racing, just run the R3. Grid at the back and run with the 300s. That will teach you a hell of a lot about racing. You won't score points, but you will gain gobs of experience. Plus it is a lot of fun to run with bikes that you are actually competitive against.

Oh, the lightweight class sounds like it is getting a big shake up too. I thought I saw someone say the KTM was now legal for that class. soooo...
                            The KTM 790 right? I don't think we'll see anyone buying one in 2019 because chances are it will be banned next year lol.
                            You should see me in a headsock !

Comment

For amateurs I'm thinking the best way to collect trophies in 2019, now that expert is split, is to comb craigslist for a Ninja 400 that a newbie rashed the fairings all to hell, pick that up for $2K, throw some race fairings on it, a few go fast bits and clean house in 500SS, Superbike 500 and GT 500.

All that said, the 400 should NOT have been allowed in the 500 classes. (in fact they should rename those classes as it's based on the slow turd of the CBR500 that nobody uses)

Umm... the 790 allowed in lightweight? WTF? That bike is 100 hp. There is going to be an outrage. Honestly, it just seems like the CCS is just one bad decision after another.
                              John K - Appleton

Comment

Working...
                              X