WSBK new Ducati restriction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSBK new Ducati restriction

Well, looks like Bautista showed well enough to get Ducati a restriction.

Ducati gets a 250rpm reduction in their rev limit, while Honda gets a 500rpm increase. There's also somehting about Ducati and Kawasaki not getting consession upgrades, but I don't know how those work. Will have to look it up sometime today.

I'm not sure how big an impact that will be, but I recall last season that Kawasaki got hit with something like this as well. It didn't change Rea winning the title obviously, but he said he had to ride the bike differently and it was harder for him to get through traffic. Races did at least start differently once it happened, sooo... I dunno. We'll see, I guess.

I saw it on Crash.net, and also on Roadracing World if anyone wants to look it up.
    Matt J., Appleton
    2015 Yamaha R3
    Instagram- @motomatt_r3

If Honda made a competitive bike, they wouldn't have to whine about the rules. Everyone knows damn well Honda complained to WSBK officials and made it clear that if the rules don't change they will leave the series. They have done it before.

This isn't ultralights where all the bikes are different configurations and different cc's. This isn't spec racing where the bikes have to be the same. These are superbikes, with the manufacturers producing the best that they can in the class. There should be no concessions and Honda should get off their lame lazy asses and design a bike that doesn't suck. Honda is not special and should not get special treatment. Freakin Honda losers.

Umm... does that sound a little harsh?
    John K - Appleton

Comment

No, not too harsh. And 250 rpm aint gonna matter one iota

Comment

Originally posted by Zaph View Post
        If Honda made a competitive bike, they wouldn't have to whine about the rules. Everyone knows damn well Honda complained to WSBK officials and made it clear that if the rules don't change they will leave the series. They have done it before.

This isn't ultralights where all the bikes are different configurations and different cc's. This isn't spec racing where the bikes have to be the same. These are superbikes, with the manufacturers producing the best that they can in the class. There should be no concessions and Honda should get off their lame lazy asses and design a bike that doesn't suck. Honda is not special and should not get special treatment. Freakin Honda losers.

Umm... does that sound a little harsh?
        This is what I came here to post.

Concessions such as this are the eventual death of the sport and kills innovation. Why bother spending the money on this great new tech when they're just going to make you turn it off because the other manufacturers are upset?

Run what you 'brung'. If you want to see people race against each other on the same spec bikes, there's other races for that.

Comment

We'll have to see, but SBK/FIM/whoever makes all adjustments in 250rpm increments. IIRC one of the points mentioned was that Bautista-Rea are only separated by 7pts so they can't go with a larger adjustment yet. Honda apparently is either complaining loud enough or sucking hard enough to get 2 adjustments.

They've been shuffling concessions/restriction in WSBK for decades, I don't see that stopping any time soon. They do it in MotoGP, too, and that actually is the prototype racing series where the innovation stems from. It's a balance. Leave everything wide open and only the deepest pockets will play. Not enough participants, not enough spectators, goodbye series (or class). Look at F1 a ways back, or endurance LMP1. Open everything and it gets exciting for a bit, then participation goes down as costs to be competitive climb, teams drop, restrictions roll back, the cycle starts over.

Somehting else I've wondered, why no Suzuki in WSBK/WSSP? Sure, maybe not a factory effort, but I'd think a privateer team or something would pick up a couple bikes. If not SBK, then SSP. There are 7 riders on CBR600s! You'd think at least one of those teams would snag a couple GSXRs.
          Matt J., Appleton
          2015 Yamaha R3
          Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-J2 View Post
            We'll have to see, but SBK/FIM/whoever makes all adjustments in 250rpm increments. IIRC one of the points mentioned was that Bautista-Rea are only separated by 7pts so they can't go with a larger adjustment yet. Honda apparently is either complaining loud enough or sucking hard enough to get 2 adjustments.

They've been shuffling concessions/restriction in WSBK for decades, I don't see that stopping any time soon. They do it in MotoGP, too, and that actually is the prototype racing series where the innovation stems from. It's a balance. Leave everything wide open and only the deepest pockets will play. Not enough participants, not enough spectators, goodbye series (or class). Look at F1 a ways back, or endurance LMP1. Open everything and it gets exciting for a bit, then participation goes down as costs to be competitive climb, teams drop, restrictions roll back, the cycle starts over.

Somehting else I've wondered, why no Suzuki in WSBK/WSSP? Sure, maybe not a factory effort, but I'd think a privateer team or something would pick up a couple bikes. If not SBK, then SSP. There are 7 riders on CBR600s! You'd think at least one of those teams would snag a couple GSXRs.
            Not sure where you got your numbers, but Bautista has a 39 point advantage over Rea right now.

Comment

Originally posted by badmoon692008 View Post

Not sure where you got your numbers, but Bautista has a 39 point advantage over Rea right now.
              Good catch. I knew that looked stupid, but it was in my brain.

Looking for it, it was in the Roadracing World article, and it refers, I think, to however they calculate concession points. They didn't really explain it, just said that Ducati has 20, Kawasaki has 13. ( https://www.roadracingworld.com/news...panigale-v4-r/)
              Matt J., Appleton
              2015 Yamaha R3
              Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

Leave everything wide open and only the deepest pockets will play. Not enough participants, not enough spectators, goodbye series (or class).
                I understand the concept, but... Honda's got the deepest pockets, yet they are in the class with the slowest and most outdated superbike. They are trying to strongarm themselves into winning via rule changes in their favor without spending any of that money in their deep pockets.

John K - Appleton

Comment

I didn't watch so feel free to correct, but the races sound like they were closer this weekend, but there could have been other factors.

Honda still didn't crack the top 10 though.
                  Matt J., Appleton
                  2015 Yamaha R3
                  Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

I didn't watch so feel free to correct, but the races sound like they were closer this weekend, but there could have been other factors.

Honda still didn't crack the top 10 though.
                    It was definitely a different track than the others, and it's true for once Bautista didn't lead comfortably from start to finish, but it still wasn't close.

I have all 3 streaming services (MotoGP, WorldSBK and MotoAmericaLive+) so if anyone ever wants to come watch some races I'm always down for company... Most of my friends fall asleep a few laps in because they don't care... lol

Comment

Originally posted by badmoon692008 View Post

It was definitely a different track than the others, and it's true for once Bautista didn't lead comfortably from start to finish, but it still wasn't close.

I have all 3 streaming services (MotoGP, WorldSBK and MotoAmericaLive+) so if anyone ever wants to come watch some races I'm always down for company... Most of my friends fall asleep a few laps in because they don't care... lol
                      Ahh, ok. The timing sheet showed just a couple seconds, but that doesn't say how it came about. Cool.

Matt J., Appleton
                      2015 Yamaha R3
                      Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

Working...
                      X