Sport Riding 101 opinions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sport Riding 101 opinions?

I'm not sure I'll get much track time this year due to schedule issues(hopefully I can hit the kart track a few times though!), but I was thinking of signing up for the Sport Riding 101 course at the end of July as I feel like some hands on help would go a long way. How is this course? Anyone here gone through it, or even instructed for it?
    Fore reference: Only been riding at all since last July (~2300mi total, almost half of that is from this year), 1 trackday at RA, 1 at Blackhawk, and 1 day at the kart track USAIR.

Thanks!
    Matt J., Appleton
    2015 Yamaha R3
    Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Matt - I have been coaching in Sport Riding 101 for the last 5 years, and I can tell you that the feedback from folks who take it has always been positive. If you've done a Yellow Group track day with Motovid, you have gotten just a very small taste of what SR101 is all about. The Yellow group classroom sessions are mostly about keeping you safe on the track. SR101 is formal instruction aimed at making you a better / faster / safety rider. You have 7 on-track sessions (just like a track day), and for 5-6 of those there are specific drills we have you do, aimed at exploring some aspect of your riding. The last 1-2 sessions are yours to "put it all together". We keep a 3:1 rider-to-coach ratio and you stay with that coach for the entire day, so there is a lot of one-on-one debriefing time with your coach in addition to the classroom time. It's a busy day, but one that is certainly worth while.

Let me know if you have any specific questions!
    Motovid CR
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 (track warrior)
    2004 Ducati ST4s (road warrior)
    2009 Harley-Davidson Street Glide (Couch Potato-potato)

Comment

I have taken this class and it is worth the time. Badger was my coach. I let him know that I was looking to learn how to use my brakes safely at pace. He listened to my needs and they were met.
      Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Comment

I took the class many years ago, now I'm a coach for it for the past 2 or 3 years. If you want to feel like you've put together a set of skills that will help you improve by the end of the day, the drills and instruction from this class will provide that for you. Trying to make laps during regular track days with very little instruction may move you to the next group eventually, but learning improper techniques on your own will keep you leaps and bounds from where you need to be to really take it to the next level. I think you will like the feeling that you have a good foundation of knowledge and skills to practice when you hit the track rather than just trying to turn laps faster.

While control riding in many different groups, I see tons of opportunities to coach basics even to intermediate riders. While Motovid is excellent at grouping their customers into similar paces, you can still witness different types of riders in each group: those who are comfortably at pace, and those who can keep pace but are still just way off. Bad corner entry, bad corner exits, bad body positioning - things that should have been corrected well before green group. There are many different types of riders, but mostly it's good ones, or bad ones. Your speed or lap times do not determine which one you are. Education does.
        THANKS to:
        TrackGraphix.com....Sportbike Track Time....Midwest Track Day
        ....Motovid.com....
        and Participating WiR Members
        for your support!

WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Comment

All the schooling, books and classroom time won't matter if you can't execute what is being taught. I learn by doing things not by classroom lectures. Unless the format, instruction, and rider to coach ratios have improved I'm leery of these "classes"

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to sign up for this as soon as I get a few things squared away that might upset the scheduling apple cart further.

Thanks!
            Matt J., Appleton
            2015 Yamaha R3
            Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

Well, this year didn't work out due to scheduling (I got a new job), but next year is solid so I signed up for the Sportbike 101 in May using the black friday deal. So I'm pretty excited for that. Hopefully can get in a few after that to reinforce what I learn instead of lapsing into bad habits. vroom.
              Matt J., Appleton
              2015 Yamaha R3
              Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-J2 View Post
                Well, this year didn't work out due to scheduling (I got a new job), but next year is solid so I signed up for the Sportbike 101 in May using the black friday deal. So I'm pretty excited for that. Hopefully can get in a few after that to reinforce what I learn instead of lapsing into bad habits. vroom.
                Awesome! I'm sure you'll get a lot out of it.
                Motovid CR
                2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 (track warrior)
                2004 Ducati ST4s (road warrior)
                2009 Harley-Davidson Street Glide (Couch Potato-potato)

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
                  Matt - I have been coaching in Sport Riding 101 for the last 5 years

Exactly the reason to stay away!
                  2004 BMW R1100SA(street/Deer Spear)
                  1999 BMW R1100S(track/race CCS AM#259)
                  1999 BMW R1100S(parts)

Comment

I'm considering doing the Sport 201 class in May.Even after doing 30 plus trackdays,I would like to be a better,faster track rider.

Comment

Working...
                    X