What's with all the airlifts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zaph View Post

The very last track day I did for SportbikeTrackTime, I think it was 2014 or so, at the morning meeting it was Gun Show Nick doing his usual yelling at people and loving the veterans, he said "If we decide you are getting on a helicopter, you are getting on an helicopter like it or not. If you decide to fight about it, I will personally put you in handcuffs and put you on the helicopter myself."

I shit you not, he really said that. There was someone from WiRiders standing next to me, I think it was Hexis if he's still around and can remember that. I think that was kinda the point where I started to dislike the way STT days were run. Felt like I was in a military camp.
    I've done a lot of track days with STT. Not as many lately, but they are the first group I started riding with. He would always say "If the EMT's say you should go to the hospital, you are going to the hospital." And he did threaten to use his law enforcement powers as a crash scene investigator or something to force you to go to the hospital. I don't recall him ever mentioning a helicopter, and my understanding was always that you could go to the hospital however you wish (don't recall if he explicitly said that), and I've heard of STT coaches driving riders to the hospital. Nick specifically said his concern was a rider refusing to go to the hospital with signs of concussion then dying of a brain bleed the next day. I've never seen a helicopter for STT track days, only other orgs, but I haven't been riding with them too much lately.

Comment

Nah that time he specifically mentioned a helicopter. Though I wouldn't doubt he would use force to make a stubborn person go to the hospital.

I would never question a trip to the hospital, I would always go. A flight there however, I had better be in serious danger of death.

Gun Show Nick... Why do I keep thinking of the drill instructor from Full Metal Jacket? Bahahah.
      John K - Appleton

Comment

Originally posted by Zaph View Post
        Why do I keep thinking of the drill instructor from Full Metal Jacket? Bahahah.
        R. Lee Ermey.

I loved Full Metal Jacket and Mail Call.
        Last edited by GeoffOnline; 07-23-2018, 04:05 PM. Reason: Added quote

Comment

Honestly if a medic says you need to go to the hospital, GO! This is the risk we take riding and racing at a track. If you don't want expensive medical bills, don't race or don't ever crash. If you can't afford the bills you shouldn't be risking it racing then. I'd rather be alive with a big bill, then dead.....my wife and kids will agree.

Comment

a couple articles on costs:
            https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...changing-bills

http://www.wkow.com/story/31499399/2...ance-ride-debt

I wonder if a person getting transported can say "if you can get this pre-authorized with my insurance company, then OK" ?
            WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Thank You to my personal, CCS Racing sponsors: WiRiders.com, Cycle Gear, TrackGraphix.com

Comment

OK Heres a place that has insurance just for medevac flights. Got this from Jan at BHF. He said its around $85/yr.

https://www.airmedcarenetwork.com/
              Wait a minute. Look at those shifty eyes. That devious half-smile. Those kazoo-kissed lips.

CCS # 14 EX
              ASRA # 214 EX
              RP Motorsports, Suomy Helmets

Comment

It's interesting that he would recommend this service. Looking through their site it doesn't look like this would cover any transports out of BFR, Road America, Autobahn CC, Putnam Park, Gingerman, or Grattan. It looks like BFR is serviced by OSF Life Flight - https://www.osflifeflight.org/. It would be a shame buying this coverage and not being able file a claim because you rode someone else's bird.

Originally posted by Skipper View Post
                OK Heres a place that has insurance just for medevac flights. Got this from Jan at BHF. He said its around $85/yr.

https://www.airmedcarenetwork.com/

Comment

Originally posted by derekcb View Post
                  It's interesting that he would recommend this service. Looking through their site it doesn't look like this would cover any transports out of BFR, Road America, Autobahn CC, Putnam Park, Gingerman, or Grattan. It looks like BFR is serviced by OSF Life Flight - https://www.osflifeflight.org/. It would be a shame buying this coverage and not being able file a claim because you rode someone else's bird.

React also goes to bhf. Both that came to bhf sunday were react.
                  Wait a minute. Look at those shifty eyes. That devious half-smile. Those kazoo-kissed lips.

CCS # 14 EX
                  ASRA # 214 EX

Comment

You're right. It's React from Mercy. They're not part of the AirMedCare Network either.

React also goes to bhf. Both that came to bhf sunday were react.

Comment

Originally posted by derekcb View Post
                      You're right. It's React from Mercy. They're not part of the AirMedCare Network either.

Its not like they are the only air med insurance, that's just the one Jan gave me. React is part of Air Methods. Check you health insurance. Many do cover helis.

CCS # 14 EX
                      ASRA # 214 EX

Comment

I get it. And my insurance does cover emergency transports @ 100%, land or air. This just sounded like an endorsement from BFR. I'd hate to see someone from here buy the coverage and then not be covered. That's all. I know others have looked into www.ridersurance.com but I don't recall how much their coverage cost.

Its not like they are the only air med insurance, that's just the one Jan gave me. React is part of Air Methods. Check you health insurance. Many do cover helis.

Comment

I contacted Quartz (Unity)...my specific 'company offered plan' (which may be different than YOUR Quartz plan), responded with this:

Dear David,

Thank you for your inquiry. Emergency Medical Air Transport is a covered benefit under your plan. This service is subject to your $1000 calendar year deductible and then 100% thereafter. To date, you have met $xxx.xxx of your deductible for 2018.

Please note that medical evacuation is not a covered benefit under your plan. If you are out of the service are and have received emergency medical attention, a "med flight" from hospital to hospital is not covered. If you find yourself in this situation, the facility must contact the UW Medical Management department to coordinate/facilitate care back to the service area as soon as reasonably possible. For future reference, UW Medical Management can be reached at 888.829.5687.

I hope this helps to clarify. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance
                          WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Thank You to my personal, CCS Racing sponsors: WiRiders.com, Cycle Gear, TrackGraphix.com

Comment

Something you guys might find interesting. When an insurance company denies payment for something that's required to keep you alive, and it's something you don't have a say in, everyone has a very good chance of fighting back to force them to pay it.

Last year when I had major heart surgery, an anesthesiologist walks in that was out of network without giving me a say in who I want to give me drugs. At the end of it all I'm stuck with a $12K medical bill that my insurance Will. Not. Pay. Even after I jump through all their bullshit appeals, 3 months and 30 phone calls worth and they still refused. Blah blah explanation of benefits document blah blah... I ended up going through Wisconsin's independent external review appeals process and forced them to pay.

What was interesting... the moment I'm on the phone and I inform my insurance co that I have started the external independent review process, there is a breakthrough and my claim is suddenly paid in full. It was almost like they said "oh shit, he's on to us, just pay this one."

Good reading here: https://oci.wi.gov/Documents/Consumers/PI-217.pdf

So what I'm saying is, if you get a helicopter ride against your will and you are later denied coverage, don't roll over and give up. You might have options.
                            John K - Appleton

Comment

^^ Good info, Zaph. Thanks!

and, how do you go in for major heart surgery and happen to have a THE anesthesiologist at that facility NOT be in the network??
                              The rest of the people in your process should've know exactly who your insurer was, but yet they bring in an out of network provider?? Sheesh.

another thing I was wondering about, but I'm afraid to ask my insurer...is, what if the air lift occurs during a "sanctioned race" ?
                              WELCOME TO WiR - Enjoy

Comment

During my research on anesthesiologists, which was pretty damn extensive, what I found was this: there is a shortage of anesthesiologists nationwide, the majority of them have opted out of network plans, (because they F'n don't have to get on a network and take a pay cut) and the hospitals just take whoever they are lucky enough to get. It's a huge problem.
                                John K - Appleton

Comment

Working...
                                X