You should wear a neck brace

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You should wear a neck brace

Here is a pretty convincing study on wearing neck braces. The study was for motocross, but would probably end up pretty similar for road racing. I have one that i bought from capitalview, but don't wear it as much as I should. I think newer ones are much better at letting you turn your head while cornering.

https://www.cyclenews.com/2018/12/ar...U2InkOR33hr6P4
    You should see me in a headsock !

I believe the neck risks present for motocross, trail riding, and other forms of dirt riding are not present for road racing or track days. You're not flying past trees, catching air on doubles, hitting high speed whoops, etc.

The problem I hear track riders talking about with neck braces is getting into a tuck.
    John K - Appleton

Comment

I wear one. The newer Leatt braces allow for a pretty tight tuck. The one Rocky has is not as nice, but it is the 1st commercial version. I figure I can't afford a new airbag suit so I will keep wearing my Leatt. That little, or even if it was big, amount of tuck I lose is nothing compared to having my neck go to far one direction.

As for trees, you know how many are at Blackhawk. Heck, they had to pull a guy out of the woods after one crash. Of course, that doesn't account for all the divots in the ground, or some unlucky bounce, roll, or being hit by someone else.
      Like me on Facebook at Yellow Duck Racing
      LB Photography, Apex Custom Coating, Track Graphix, Spears Racing

Comment

I will have to post a pic of me wearing the brace Rocky5000100 has and my new one.

Comment

Just like most major safety improvements/innovation it will take a big time name getting hurt or paralyzed in an injury that could have prevented by a neck brace to get more wearing them.

Farm to Table Beef, Made Simple. Pasture Raised Beef, from our farm shipped to your door: www.scholzefamilybeef.com

Comment

How would a neck brace compare with an airbag suit or airbag vest?
            Matt J., Appleton
            2015 Yamaha R3
            Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

I don't think there is any debate that a neck brace is going to add "some" safey factor. For some people adding any safety at all is worth it. But rest assured it isn't much.

But nobody wears them at racetracks and I just don't hear enough about broken necks to get concerned enough to run out and buy one. You are more likely to die in a car wreck on the way to the race track than to break your neck at the track. Dirt, yes. Racetrack, no.

Now if someone would invent some sort of gear that prevents a broken collarbone - That would be something. Sooo many collarbones break, including my own. Newer airbag suits (but not the HitAir vest) are supposed to help.
              John K - Appleton

Comment

I used to think that the airbag suits were kind of crazy. Now with the current health plan deductibles, I am seriously considering one after the cost of a simple collarbone break...
                Jared Herbig Racing - "Like" me on Facebook - CCS #323
                01' SV650
                Lockhart Phillips - Vortex - Spears Racing - TSE - Gron4 - Motorex - Woodcraft

Comment

Wait, I thought the air vests were supposed to help with collarbones, but they don't? I knew they weren't as good as a full air suit, but thought they were hitting that stride of being pretty good at a cost people can afford sort of thing.
                  Matt J., Appleton
                  2015 Yamaha R3
                  Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

From what I've seen in research, one of the common collarbone breaks are when the helmet hits the collarbone. A neckbrace OR airbag vest would prevent this. However the primary function of the neck brace is to prevent neck injuries.

One idea in the science field is that a collar bone provides neck protection as well. Similar to a crumple zone on a car, a collarbone breaking can prevent that stress from transmitting to your neck.

Airbag would be best it seems (as demonstrated by Motogp using this), but as we know, they are expensive. Airbag would also provide padding all around the upper back and chest.

I think my next suit will likely be an airbag suit. As herbig said, a $2000 suit is still cheaper than a deductible.
                    You should see me in a headsock !

Comment

The one big problem with the current airbag suits is the repack issue. Needing to send it in and then wait for it to come back can be, not only expensive, but time consuming. Plus you might not have it back in time for the next round. Does anyone know the turn around time on the airbag suits? I know the hit air vest is something you can just do yourself at least. I know, there is no perfect answer when we have such limited budgets.

Comment

The new Astars tech Air vest is supposed to protect collarbones better. Probably because the inflating portion goes over the shoulder.

But the Hit Air, if you land on your side, you have no protection from lateral shoulder impacts. That's how I got this. (not from a helmet impact)

The rib protection is worth it though. Man I don't want to sleep in a recliner for 2 months ever again.
                        John K - Appleton

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky5000100 View Post

One idea in the science field is that a collar bone provides neck protection as well. Similar to a crumple zone on a car, a collarbone breaking can prevent that stress from transmitting to your neck.
                          Exactly what the collarbone is for. Its basically a "safety valve" for the neck.

As herbig said, a $2000 suit is still cheaper than a deductible.
                          Unless your deductible is $500.

Wait a minute. Look at those shifty eyes. That devious half-smile. Those kazoo-kissed lips.

CCS # 14 EX
                          ASRA # 214 EX
                          RP Motorsports, Suomy Helmets

Comment

Ok. So a vest or brace are good, and maybe better at different things, but not as good as a full air suit. I also assume a brace and vest aren't compatible with each other? Then again at that point it might not be a huge leap to get the full suit. Maybe.

The Alpinestars vest says it needs a prepped suit to work, which I found for another $1k, so total of $2,200-3k or so. Slightly more than an air suit itself I think, but the vest is also compatible with their street gear and I assume cheaper to send back for repacking and such.

Also looks like several varieties of air vest out these days. Spidi looks like it helps the neck, others look they just do back/ribs. Neat.
                            Matt J., Appleton
                            2015 Yamaha R3
                            Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

Ha! I also see today that they make an air vest just for the crowd that thinks a black leather vest is THE safety gear to have!

I guess it's better than nothing...
                              Matt J., Appleton
                              2015 Yamaha R3
                              Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

Working...
                              X